epilogue.

. epilogue

Charles had sat by the window, following August with his mind. She was well down the drive by now, and Charles knew that he had to let her go, but he couldn't seem to give up these last fleeting moments.

He roamed her mind, looking over all the replacement memories. Her mother was safe and never faded away, her father was a nice man, she never found out about her mutation, and she never met Charles.

However, he had to leave something. So, he left Erik. Charles may not trust Erik as much as he used to, but he knows that Erik will take care of her. After all, August took a liking to Erik far before she had to Charles. She would do fine with him. At least, that's what Charles hoped.

After five minutes of roaming August's new memories, Charles broke the connection and wheeled away. There was a part of him that wanted to go after her to replace all of her memories, but another part of him knew he couldn't regret his decision. August couldn't stay here forever, especially not with a man that couldn't offer her anything. He couldn't give her children, happiness, an actual life. Charles was trapped in this mansion, and he couldn't bring himself to force August to stay when she didn't have to.

"Hey, Charles! Wait up!"

Charles turned his head to find bright orange curls bounding over to him with a unique gadget in his hands. Sean Cassidy came to a slow walk beside Charles, breathing heavily in order to gain a regular heart rate.

"Have you seen August around?" the red-head asked. "I wanted to show her the thing that I made, 'cause I know she was always pushing me about it and stuff. You know where she is?"

"I'm afraid not," Charles mumbled. "She's gone."

Sean stopped abruptly, making Charles swivel around in his wheelchair.

"What do you mean?" Sean whispered, sadness immediately washing over his face. "She can't be gone, she promised."

"I made her leave, Sean," Charles said, choosing to tell the truth instead of lying to the poor boy. "She couldn't stay here."

"You made her leave?" the young boy repeated, not believing the professor's words. "How could you do that?"

"I'm sorry, Sean. Truly, I am, but-"

"No," Sean shook his head calmly, pushing back the anger that rose inside him. "You can't do that because you're not the only one who cared about her. We all did. She was like home away from home, and you made her leave."

With that, Sean turned on his heel and ran down the hall.

"Where are you going?" Charles called out, right before he turned the corner.

"To find her!"

1964 .

Hank worked hard with the last bit of his experiment. He was working to improve his serum to try and make himself feel normal again. Without Raven, he had no one to make him feel special anymore. And gaining the blue fur didn't help anything but fuel his frustration and determination.

Just a few days ago he tested the serum out for the fifth time, and finally got the result he's been desperate for. Hank was normal again, free from the judgmental looks from others, and from his own ridiculing mind.

Now, he is finishing up another batch for Charles. Hank figured that with all that loss in his life, Charles deserved to have something back, so Hank decided to give him the only possible to return: his legs.

Hank knew that it would rid of Charles's telepathy, but maybe it wouldn't matter too much. Besides, it wasn't like Charles would take it too often. Just enough to keep walking, and not cause enough damage.

With his normal feet, Hank walked down halls with a syringe in his normal hands, and soon came upon the professor's door. Knocking softly, he waited for permission to enter.

When granted permission, Hank opened the door to show Charles sat on his bed, looking wistfully out the window. Hank knew exactly what he was thinking of: August Moran.

Charles glanced over at Hank, immediately noticing the needle in his hand. He scrunched up his eyebrows, "what's that, Hank?"

"You're legs."

1966 .

Alex, Hank, and Charles all stood at the front door, multiple bags surrounding their feet. All of them held blank faces, too afraid to speak up.

"I'm sorry for calling you Bozo," Alex said to Hank, who shoved his hands in his pockets and looked down.

"I-It's fine."

Alex looked over to Charles, giving him a nod. If Alex wasn't so afraid, he'd tell Charles that he was a mess. Alex would refuse to go fight in the war, and tell Charles that he needed help. Because Alex noticed how Charles was slipping down an invisible slope. He's lost too much. His legs, Raven, Erik, Sean, August. Alex couldn't imagine having to hold such a sad burden, because he could see Charles cracking. Soon, he is going to shatter.

"Don't get hurt while in Vietnam," Charles advised. "Wouldn't want you bleeding out on the battlefield."

"Well, I'll try my best," Alex gave the two men a sharp nod, picked up his bags, and followed soldiers to a car. He then was taken far away.

Charles wondered, would August cry? Would she weep for Alex, hug him until it was time, cling onto Charles as they watched Alex drive away?

Charles shook his head, clearing his mind from the thought of her as he trudged back into his bedroom, where he would stay until he would just fade away.

à suivre
to be continued