eleven.

. chapter eleven

He wasn't sure how August did it. Charles knew it was her mutation finally pulling through, but what is it? She took the words straight from Charles, he knows that for sure. He remembers saying the exact same thing to Erik when they had first met. He would have helped her, but he had no access to her mind. No matter how hard he tried, Charles couldn't break through that mental barrier. It was rather infuriating.

August lay in her bed, sound asleep as Charles paced in his study, waiting for her to wake so that he could finally understand.

There was something about August, that Charles couldn't quite point out. She was herself, and yet, she was the best woman Charles had ever met. Of course, aside from Raven. But what Charles felt towards Raven was nothing in comparison to what he felt towards August. The feelings were complete opposites, and Charles found himself addicted to one feeling. He continues to remind himself daily about what the world is going through, and that there's no time for relationships. There was something about August that distracted him, even in the most dire situations.

Before joining Moira and the CIA, Charles had to admit he was quite the lady's man. A day wouldn't go by where he wouldn't flirt with a pretty blonde, or wink at a beautiful brunette. And August definitely wasn't the one to make him see that perhaps all that was wrong. Charles came upon it himself. August was there, though, when he realized that he had enough of one night stands, and was ready for the real thing.

The worry that clawed at Charles's insides made him pace even faster. When would she wake up? Would she wake?

"Charles."

Charles halted in the middle of his study, blue eyes snapping up towards the door where Erik stood with a grim look. Erik always had that look, it was just natural, but seeing it this time made Charles scared for August.

"Yes?" Charles managed to choke out, his fingers still lingering at his chin as he stared at Erik with anticipation.

"August needs you," Erik said, smirking as he watched Charles's shoulders slump in relief, before he quickly dashed out the door to find August.

Of course, this feeling was never intended, but then again, Charles never really felt the need to hold it back – to stop it from growing.

Coming up to her bedroom door, Charles stopped. The coughing on the other side made him realize that there was still something wrong, and that he can't get caught up in his emotions towards August. He needed to help her come to terms with her mutation, to help her understand it.

He didn't bother knocking. Charles opened the door slowly, finding August sitting up in bed, her arm covering her mouth as the coughs left her body in loud barks.

Soon, realizing that someone had entered the room, August's eyes drifted up to look at Charles in the doorway. She smiled, beckoning him into the room with a jerk of her chin.

Charles shut the door with a quiet click, moving towards August's bedside with soft steps.

"How're you feeling, love?" he asked in a whisper, afraid that her head may be dizzy if he spoke too loud.

August shrugged her shoulders weakly. "My head is pounding, and I feel like I ran a mile. Other than that, I'm utterly confused."

Charles nodded in understanding. "I can see how you could be confused, I am as well. But it's clear that your mutation has finally taken liking into popping up."

August stared at the wall on the other side of the room, her features clear of any emotion.

A silence fell over the room. Charles stared at August as she never faltered from the wall. If he could, Charles would peek into her mind, to see what she could possibly be thinking. It's a lot to take in, being told you're a mutant so suddenly.

A tear then found its way onto August's cheek, startling Charles slightly. He reached out for her hand, in an attempt to comfort her in some way.

"Do you think that I'll end up like my mom?"

The question rendered Charles speechless.

August's eyes finally found their way to Charles. Tears continued to build up in her eyes, making the green in them a deeper and more beautiful shade.

"I don't want to die, Charles," she choked out, pulling her lips into a tight line. "Please don't let me die, Charles. Please."

Thinking about it, Charles figured it was possible that August could end up like her mother. The X gene is genetic, and can be passed down through offspring. Both of her parents were mutants, though one died due to their mutation. It depends on how much of her mother's gene August has. Charles doesn't know if her mother's gene was dominant or recessive alongside August's father's gene. There was a chance that August could die.

Charles sat at the edge of her bed, reaching his free hand up to wipe away the streaming tears. He couldn't tell her that she wasn't going to die, because she might. He couldn't bring himself to give August false reassurance.

"We'll find a way, August," he whispered, tucking her bangs behind her ear. "I'll find a way to help you. I can't promise that you won't die, but I can promise that I will do everything to try and prevent it from happening."

August's hand met his, her fingers lacing through his. She guided Charles' hand to her temple, pressing his fingers into her skin. The tears still silently fell down her reddened cheeks, and her breaths were shaky and rapid. Charles loosened his hand, instead running his fingers through her dark locks.

"Charles?" she muttered after a moment of silence.

"Hm?" he hummed, rubbing her scalp with his fingertips to ease her mind.

With her eyes closed, she mumbled, "I've never had a friend."

Charles sighed, fixing her hair so that he could see all of her face.

"That's unfortunate," he said, his left hand still in hers and his right resting on her shoulder. "Anyone would be extremely lucky to even know you, let alone be your friend."

August cracked a smile, the first one Charles has seen in the last few hours. It made him grin, an uncontrollable feeling that sat on his shoulders, swinging its imaginary legs in giddiness.

"Thank you," she said, popping one eye open to find Charles grinning brightly above her. She laughed.

"Why are you smiling like that?" she asked, rubbing her thumb against Charles's hand.

Charles looked down at his lap, still smiling madly.

"I really don't know," he admitted. "You just have that affect on me."

August blushed, casting her gaze away from Charles. Charles shook his head, using his left hand to direct her head to look at him.

"I never said that I didn't enjoy it."