prologue.

. prologue

1941 .

"Daddy?"

It's midnight. I'm seven years old. It's winter. And there is no sign of my father anywhere.

I roamed the halls, in search for him, cringing every time the wooden floor beneath my feet creaked.

My name is August Moran, my father being Benjamin Moran. My mother is named Elizabeth Moran, and she is sick.

I clutched my teddy bear in my tiny arms, breathing heavily at the sight of my parents' bedroom door that was cracked open slightly.

I come down here when I have nightmares, which have been more frequent now that Mommy has been ill. Tonight was just like any other, except I couldn't escape my nightmare any longer.

My father was hunched over my mother, heaving breaths and shakily running his fingers through her golden locks. It broke my heart, which after this night, would no longer be as innocent as before.

I traipsed into the room, closing the wooden door behind me. My father looked up, and burst into another set of tears.

My mother's weak grey eyes met my green ones. She smiled softly, having minimal energy to conjure up one at all.

"August, darling," she whispered, almost choking on her words. "Come here, please."

I was silent as I reached her bedside, afraid that if I made a sudden noise, I would break every last bit of peace this room held.

I stared down at my mother. She is incredibly frail, but still as beautiful as ever. Her skin is deathly pale, and yet, she looked to be near perfect. It's no wonder why Daddy loves her. My mother has never done wrong, for as long as I've been around.

With her eyes sunken in, and her hands boney, she took hold of my forearms, looking at me with solemn eyes.

"Mommy has to go away for a little while," she muttered, struggling to catch her breath.

I tilted my head in confusion, "why?"

Daddy let out a shaky breath, setting his gentle hand against my cheek while smiling sadly.

"Do you remember Mommy's powers?" he asked me, just as silent as Mommy.

I nodded, fearfully.

"It's draining her, love," he said. "She's got to go."

I was shocked. Mommy has to leave? For how long? When will she return? Why are her powers making her go? What will happen to Daddy and I in her absence? So many questions ran laps in my mind, but never did I have the chance to voice them.

"Listen, sweetheart," Mommy mumbled, "stay strong. Besides, life may be sad, but it's always beautiful."

I didn't believe her. This moment right now, will never be beautiful. My mother is dying, and I can do nothing but watch, hopeless and afraid.

"I love you, August," she said, and I watched as she began to fade. "I love you, too, Ben. Take care of her."

My father nodded, crying silently as she faded. "Of course I will. I love you."

"Promise me."

"I promise."

Then, she was gone. The only thing left of her, was the words that rang through my head.

Life may be sad, but it's always beautiful.

I haven't figured out an updating schedule, but once I do I'll let you guys know.

I know this first part is incredibly short and boring, but if you hang in there, then it'll get a bit more interesting.

I didn't necessarily go by the movie too much in this book like I did Aspects of Hope, so I hope you like that. It may be a bit confusing because some characters aren't going to be where they were in the movie, but it'll get on track in a few chapters.

Thank you,

Mikayla x