four.

. chapter four

"The CIA? You didn't say anything about the CIA."

August stood in front of the large building, her shoulder bag hanging low by her thigh as she stared.

"Well, you didn't expect us to collect a group of mutants and intervene on war without government officials, did you?" Charles chuckled.

"No, but you could have mentioned it on the way here," she grumbled.

"You're right, we could've," Charles shrugged, "but we didn't."

August turned to point at the smiling man next to her. "That's it, right there! That's why I was reluctant into coming with you."

Charles laughed, "I can assure you, August, that I am a very serious and trustworthy man."

August snorted.

Charles and Erik led her into the building, down many halls and through rooms.

"I'm sure you'll find it comfortable here," Erik said, knowing that August thought against the words. "Charles and I will return, however you must stay. Go and get to know some people."

"Socializing isn't in my nature," she muttered, nodding a thanks when Erik took her bag off her shoulder.

August watched as the pair walked away, having a heated conversation as they turned the corner.

She sighed and faced the door they led her to. There were laughs coming from the other side, piquing her interest. Who could possibly be happy when you're trapped under the CIA's thumb?

August slowly opened the silver door, finding four younger looking men and two women sitting around the lounge room. One female was blonde, sitting next to a dark-haired boy with glasses. On the other couch across from them sat a dark male next to a girl with a black dress on. Then on two separate chairs between the couches sat a ginger teenager, and a blonde male. They all turned to stare at August, their laughter dying at the sight of her.

"Oh, hey," the blonde woman smiled. She motioned for August to come closer. August tentatively shut the door, traipsing into the bustling room.

"What's your name?" the blonde asked, her smile still stretching across her cheeks. August looked around the room.

"August Moran."

"That's a nice name," the blonde complimented. "I'm Raven, and that's Hank, Darwin, Angel, Sean, and Alex."

"Hello," August gave a shy wave, doing her best to hide under the mask her hair made. She remembered Raven now, though the blonde didn't make any suggestions that she remembered August at all.

"What's your mutation?" Raven asked August, her body fully turned to August and her arms resting on the back of the couch as she looked interested.

"Oh, I don't exactly have one, yet," August muttered, feeling ashamed under the staring eyes of the many people in the room.

"Oh, well that's okay," Raven assured. "Come sit with us."

August played with her fingers as she pulled up a chair near the blonde boy: Alex. He nodded to her, his eyes scanning her in a menacing way. August shivered, feeling the heat of the room spread throughout her whole body. There was a light buzzing in the back of her brain, but she let it go and ignored it.

"We should all think of code names!" Raven exclaimed, overly excited about the new topic. August looked down at her lap. "I wanna be Mystique!"

"Damn!" Sean shouted out, pouting his lip and slumping in his chair while crossing his arms. "I wanted to be called Mystique."