thirteen.

. chapter thirteen

"Wake up," a voice whispered, making August squirm in displeasure. The owner of the voice set a hand on her shoulder, shaking it slightly in an attempt to get her awake.

"Mm, what?" she grumbled, her voice raspy from not being used and from just waking up. She rolled over in bed, not daring to open her eyes for fear of losing the sleepiness that swam in her head. She was never a morning person.

"We're training again today, love," Charles whispered, his accent clear and soothing in August's ears. "I want to get started early so that you have the rest of the day off, and so that I can begin training with Alex and Sean."

August sighed, contemplating on whether she should refuse Charles and go back to sleep, or comply to his wishes and get her training over with.

"Alright, I'm getting up."

She could picture Charles beaming just like he always does.

Once the door was securely shut, August removed herself from the bed. The sun's rays found their way through the curtain, shining directly into her eyes. It caused August to squint and hold her hand up to block the sudden break of darkness.

She walked over towards her suitcase, where she still kept all of her clothes. She hadn't brought herself to unpack quite yet. But sooner or later, the task would have to be done.

August pulled out something simple, because Charles didn't plan on doing much with her today. She slipped on a navy tank and grey sweatpants, sliding on her Converse as well. After brushing her teeth, she threw her brown hair into a ponytail and began down the hall to Charles's library.

When August entered the library, she didn't expect it to be so large. Of course, it was an appropriate sized one for a mansion, August just had never witnessed one so big before. Books were packed on the shelves, so tight that August couldn't possibly believe there were more. Charles was the kind of man that looked to own a few books; given his intelligence and persona, you would just assume. A library was to be expected, but the overall size was somewhat a surprise.

Charles looked up from his chess board, sending a smile over to August, whom still stood in the doorway gaping at the room around them. Charles found it quite amusing, and adorable, if he were to admit it.

"Your library is magnificent," August said, making her way towards the chair opposite of Charles. "I just want to read every book."

Charles chuckled. "Would you still want to read every single one if you knew they were all about mutations and genes?"

August scrunched up her nose. "Science was never my forté."

"Don't worry, love," Charles said, smiling in his charming way. "I'll get you a library someday and it will be filled with all the books you enjoy reading."

August laughed, "I will hold you to that, Charlie."

"Good," Charles nodded. "Now, to training."

"Oh wait," he said, turning around in his chair. He picked up a white mug from the side table and handed it to August. "I made you a cup because I figured you'd need it."

August smiled, taking the mug of coffee from Charles's hand. "Thank you."

She didn't bother asking him how he knew what she likes in her coffee. Charles must've searched her mind at some point to get the information.

"I don't suppose you know how to play chess?" Charles smiled, crossing his legs as August took a sip of the coffee.

She hummed, "my favorite activity to pass the time." Although that was a lie, August hated chess, but she knows how to play the game.

Charles chuckled. "This game will be a tad bit different. Instead of calculating your moves upon accusations of where I will be moving, you are going to use your mutation. Look a few minutes into the future, and find out my moves. From there, you can win."

"So, you're basically teaching me how to cheat in a game of chess?" Though it was meant to be more of a question, it sounded more like a statement.

"If that's how you want to see it, then yes," Charles smirked. "It's too early in the morning to try and convince you otherwise."

"I am indeed stubborn."

"That you are, my dear."

August scrunched up her nose, a smile playing at her lips.

Charles thought it was adorable.

August stared at Charles, concentrating on her memories; the good and the bad ones that still lingered in the back of her mind. It's a heartbreaking process, but it still made her feel powerful. She felt a rush before everything slowed down, and the heavy weight feeling settled on her shoulders. She knew that she had stopped time, but now what? Fast forward just a few minutes, but how? She imagined herself propelling from her seat, and another rush came over. Suddenly, she found herself on her feet.

Furrowing her eyebrows, she looked down at the frozen Charles, imagining that he is taking his next move. She watched as his hand flew out, making his move. She then made him go back to his original position.

Sitting back in her seat, August released her hold she had on the clock, feeling the weight leave her shoulders. She took a deep breath and collected herself as she locked eyes with Charles.

He smiled, pausing as he looked at the board to calculate his moves. Once he figured it out, he said, "Well, where am I moving?"

August reached out and pointed to an empty space on the board. Charles grinned at her, which made her feel successful.

"That is truly an amazing gift, August," he said, his blue eyes shining in delight.

August looked down at her lap, a light blush creeping up her cheeks.

Charles scooted forward in his seat, looking up at August adoringly, because she fascinated him and he couldn't get enough of her.

Even though they met not long ago, he couldn't help but have this never-ending urge to touch her. Not in any disrespectful way, of course, but just to hold her. If anything, he always found himself wanting to be close to her.

He wanted to kiss her again, but was it a wise idea? To develop feelings with a friend seemed just outright absurd, and yet, Charles didn't care about his professionalism.

"I know I said that I would allow you to have a day off," Charles said, making August's emerald eyes snap up to meet his gaze, "but would you mind going on a little picnic with me?"

August smiled, the blush still dusted upon her cheeks. "Is this you asking me on a date?"

Charles chuckled. "I'm afraid that's my sister's decision. You still have to go through initiation."

"Says the one that kissed me just yesterday," August teased, but she couldn't complain because she quite liked it.

"You liked it," he smirked.

"I am willing to admit it," August nodded. "Does Raven know?"

"In my defense, she hasn't told me a thing about her and Hank," he said, leaning back in his chair. "I think I have a reasonable explanation about not telling her of us."

"Oh, so there is an 'us'," August smiled playfully.

"I suppose so," Charles nodded. "If you agree on this picnic, we shall see for sure."

"Then I will accept."

"Good choice on your part."