fourteen.

. chapter fourteen

August spent the rest of the morning in the garden, where Charles had kissed her.

The giddiness was almost unbearable. The butterflies fluttered mercilessly in her stomach, causing her to smile painfully wide.

Could it be possible that after this battle, August and Charles will live happily? August was scared of the thought, but she doubted a happy future. She's never had happiness for long.

Something had to happen, she just knew it.

She was tempted to use her time manipulation to see into the future, to see the outcome of the events in Cuba. If it could bring her some solace, she would do it without a doubt, but she wasn't sure she was ready to discover what was to come.

Suddenly, there was a sharp pain in her mind. It felt as if her brain tissue was being ripped apart, like someone was trying to completely invade her mind.

She squeezed her eyes shut while her hands flew to the back of her head to apply pressure in hopes the pain would dissipate. But it only increased.

She couldn't shout out for help because she was in so much pain. Her knees buckled, hitting harshly on the grass and dirt.

Opening her eyes, she peered up to find a figure. Her breathing stopped and the beating of her heart intensified to ring in her ears.

In front of her stood her father, battered and exhausted, but still a smirk was plastered on his face.

"August," he rumbled, a sinister look in his eyes.

She trembled in fear, the worst part of the sharp pains numbing to almost nothing.

How had he found her? He couldn't have possibly tracked her down, could he? She wasn't on any records so he wouldn't have any way of finding her.

Yet here he is, standing in front of her with an evil grin. His ominous look made chills run down August's spine.

"How did you find me?"

She was surprised the words were able to pass her lips, let alone be conjured up by her worn-down mind.

Benjamin Moran crouched down to his daughter's level and stared her in the eyes – the same ones his wife possessed.

"You're not the only mutant with time manipulation," he snarled, pushing himself back up.

She looked down at the dirt underneath her. "How did you know about my mutation? How did you know I was here?"

"You ask a lot of questions," he chuckled. "I've been following you, August."

He knows everything. He knows about her mutation, the war that's taking place, about Charles. God, he knows her weakness. What would he do to Charles? If Ben had Charles captive, there's no doubt that August would do anything to save him. Ben knows that.

"Yes," Ben said, "I do know about Professor Charles Xavier. Good lad, he is. Unfortunately, he's going to have to leave if I am to be getting my way."

August's eyes widened a fraction. Get his way?

"What makes you think that I am of any worth?" August asked, risking a glance up at her father.

"Absolutely nothing," he shrugged. "You'll die from the task I am thrusting upon you. You'll die, or you'll never come back to this time period, either way."

August's brows furrowed. "What are you saying?"

"I'm afraid that I am too old and run down now that I cannot conduct enough energy to travel through long periods of time," he said, locking his hands behind his back. "I spent so much time tracking you down, but it was worth it."

"I don't understand."

"You never did, did you?" he snapped, becoming frustrated. "You're going back in time to find your mother to bring her back here – to bring her back to me."

"I can't do that," August protested. "I just discovered my-"

"Yes, your abilities. I know," he interrupted. "Now is as good as ever, and you will be doing as I instruct."

Although August didn't know much about how time works, she had a hunch that what Benjamin was wanting, wasn't in any way possible. She couldn't bring her mother back. August can't pluck someone from their time period, it would ruin everything.

Seeing the hesitation in her eyes, Ben growled, "if you so much as think no, so help me God, you will never see your beloved Xavier again. Maybe then you will understand how I feel."

"She was my mother," August retaliated. "Do you not think that I felt remorse too? That I didn't wish for her to come back? I was seven years old, for God's sake! I was completely heartbroken. So do not dare begin to blame me for never mourning, because I always did, and still am."

All she earned in return was a hard slap, which sent her head jerking to the left from the force of Ben's hand.

"You do not talk back to your father," he barked. "Have I taught you no manners?"

"You're not my father," August whimpered as she cradled her reddened cheek. "You never were."

She then turned and ran, forgetting about the picnic date with Charles, and locking herself up in her bedroom for the rest of the afternoon, where she feared that Benjamin would make his appearance once again.