twenty.

. chapter twenty

August had bid her parents farewell, more so her mother rather than her father.

She couldn't remember what happened in her own past, but that was how time worked. It was a bunch of things happening at once. August couldn't ever fathom the concept of multiple timelines, but now she can travel through all of them.

A part of her wished that Ben was there during her childhood to teach her. She wished that he was there when she first experienced her mutation. However, a different part of her was glad everything was settled and that everyone had moved on. August saved her family and she had Charles.

Hank had updated August on all she needed to know. She learned that Erik and Raven left to form their own brotherhood with what was left of Shaw's men, and that Alex, Sean, and Moira stayed. Upon learning his sister and best friend left, August went to search for Charles to see how he felt.

August knew what it felt like to lose family and friends. She would know better than anyone that it hurts, and it doesn't ever stop hurting. There will always be a numbing pain in the back of your mind – always prodding, always whispering. She knew that it had to be ten times worse for Charles, because he can feel everyone else's pain and sadness. He had to be strong. Not only for himself, but for everyone.

August roamed the halls, taking her time to get to Charles's study while thinking that he was using this free time to relax and read. He would be playing chess with Erik in the lounge, but August already knew not to go there. She wouldn't find him.

August reached his study, but found it strangely vacant. It was rare that Charles ever left his study. He was either in there, or his bedroom. He sulked quite often, and August tried to ease his pain, but with the loss of his legs, his sister, and his best friend weighing heavily on his shoulders, she knew that nothing could take away the sadness.

August skimmed through a random book she picked from a shelf, reading about mutations and DNA.

"I can't give you any children."

The voice startled her, but August immediately relaxed once her brain made the connections that it was Charles entering the room.

August put up the book, spinning around to face Charles. He wheeled into the middle of the room, just a few feet away from August.

"I can't give you anything you desire," Charles continued. "I'm useless to you, my legs-"

August sniggered, stopping Charles from continuing his monologue. She took a few steps closer to Charles, squatting down and gently setting her hands on top of his own.

"Don't you see, Charles?" she smiled. "There isn't anything in this entire world that could ever stop me from loving you. You don't need legs to make me happy, silly. You just being here is all I'll ever need. Don't ever doubt yourself."

Charles looked down at her with tears in his blue eyes, begging for release to cry. August reached up to tuck away his falling bangs so that she could see his face.

"Do you remember when you kissed me in the garden?" August asked, receiving a nod from Charles. "I made a promise to you, Charlie. I swore that I'd never leave, and I don't go back on my word. I love you, and just because a part of you changes, it doesn't mean my affections for you vanish."

Charles let out a sob, pulling her into him before it was too late and he backed out. As they kissed, August smiled, but Charles couldn't find anything in him that was worth smiling about.

He brought up his hand and pressed his fingertips into August's temples, willing all her memories away and putting in new ones. Ones where she didn't fall in love with him; where she wasn't here for her mutation or war.

August stumbled back with her eyes clenched shut, giving Charles enough time to compose himself.

August opened her eyes, staring confused over at the man in the wheelchair.

"I'm sorry for asking such a ridiculous question, sir, but," she mumbled, "what am I here for?"

"You came by to retrieve this book," Charles replied, trying to make it seem like he hadn't been sobbing just seconds ago.

August took hold of the book held out to her, still confused over the whole thing. She glanced back up at Charles.

"Is there something troubling you, sir?" she questioned, as if Charles was a complete stranger. And he was.

Charles forced on a smile, "no, nothing wrong."

August nodded, looking down at the book she held in her hands. Soon, she said goodbye to the stranger in the wheelchair, and left the mansion.

Charles sat in his study, watching his love walk away, feeling his heart breaking as she was no longer in sight. He had to let her go. He was holding her down – anchoring her to something that wasn't good for her. Charles knew that he couldn't give August what she needed. She had to go out and do great things, because Charles knew her to be a great person.

Life may be sad, but it's always beautiful. The words didn't seem to make sense anymore, because August was right.

You cannot chose what stays in your life and what fades away.

Last update before the epilogue.

Thank you for reading,

Mikayla, x.