eighteen.

. chapter eighteen

1941 .

August woke to the sound of the floorboards creaking. Little feet padded into the room, careful not to wake the sleeping, however August had already awoken.

August opened her eyes to find a little girl, frozen on the spot once she realized August was awake.

The girl looked to be around seven, with brown hair that resembled dark chocolate, and bright green eyes. August knew that this was her younger self, investigating and going on adventures.

"Sorry for waking you, Miss," little August said, looking sheepishly to the wooden flooring. "Mother said that we had a guest, and I was just so curious."

August, or now Jade, smiled and sat up in the bed. "It's quite all right."

August jumped up onto the bed, playing with the little stuffed bunny in her lap. Without looking up at Jade, she asked, "what's your name?"

"Jade Xavier," she replied, remembering Charles once again. "And yours?"

"August," the little girl said, finally looking up at the older woman. "I wish I had your name. I'm named after a month, yours is much prettier. I love the color."

"Your name is wonderful," Jade assured. "It's unique." Jade thought about the time she ran into Erik for the first time, back when everything was simple, and she was just August. Normal, broken August.

"Really? Do you think so?"

Jade nodded. "In fact, I believe that one day, you'll realize how beautiful you really are."

"Oh, but look at you," August marveled. "You're gorgeous."

Jade laughed. "Trust me, you'll meet someone that'll make you feel like the most important girl in the world."

"True love?" August asked. "Mommy reads me stories sometimes about finding your true love."

"Yes," Jade said, remembering the stories herself.

"Have you found your true love, Miss Xavier?" August smiled, excitement showing in her eyes.

Jade thought, but she admitted to herself that, yes, she most definitely loves Charles Xavier.

"His name is Charles," Jade smiled wistfully, picturing his bright blue eyes and soft chestnut hair. "I met him in a music establishment, and I disliked him at first, but then he became something that I counted on – that I depended on. He became my friend, and I didn't have many, but he made time for me. And when he kissed me, I just knew that I had fallen in love with him."

"Does he love you back?"

Jade sighed. "I don't know."

A knock on the door interrupted any continuation of a conversation, and Jade looked to see Elizabeth standing in the threshold of the guest room with a pile of clothing, smiling at August who was running up to her mother.

"I see you've met my daughter, Miss Xavier," Elizabeth said, turning her attention towards Jade. "I hope she hasn't been a bother."

"Oh, no," Jade assured. "We were getting to know each other. August is a very lovely young girl."

August beamed, drawing her bunny closer to her as a light blush brushed her cheeks.

Elizabeth smiled gently down at her daughter. "There's breakfast downstairs, chérí."

"Have you made pancakes?"

"With strawberries, which I know is your favorite," Elizabeth replied. Jade remembered eating the lovely sweetness of her mother's strawberry pancakes. "But you better hurry, or your father will eat them all."

With that, August dashed down the hall and ascended the stairs, shouting at her father to wait for her.

"I've brought you some of my clothing for you to borrow," Elizabeth said, setting the dress onto the bed next to Jade. "You look to be about my size, so they should fit."

"Thank you so much, Elizabeth," Jade gushed. "I'm so grateful for your kindness."

"It's the least I could do," Elizabeth smiled, walking back to the door. "I'll save you some pancakes."

Once the door was completely shut, Jade stood to get dressed.

Hello lovelies. It's been a while, but I'm glad to say that I'm back.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter, even though it wasn't too exciting.

I won't be updating as often as I would like to, considering I have a lot on my plate at the moment, with me trying to earn my permit, with school work every night, with club meetings. I'm a busy person, believe it or not, and I also have three other schedules that belong to my siblings that I constantly have to work off of.

Thank you for reading,
Mikayla x.