81. traitor

I looked down at the bowl in front of me, aimlessly moving around the food as my stomach clenched with a ball of nerves. I wasn't hungry, and I wasn't sure I was ever going to be hungry ever again.

Following the GEM9 incident and Diyoza's selfless debt, we had been granted 'mercy.'

In this case, mercy meant that we were placed on virtual house arrest. We weren't entirely free to do what we wanted, but we weren't locked in cells either.

So, that's exactly why Octavia, Gabriel, Echo, Clarke and I were currently in the dining room, trying to figure out what our next move was going to be.

The others were getting some much needed sleep. And as tired as I was, I couldn't sleep. Because I knew the minute I laid down and closed my eyes, all I would see was Bellamy, and I would be reminded that he would never lay next to me again.

"Thank God for the Flame." Gabriel announced, popping a strawberry into his mouth. "Doubt they'd serve us Saji bowls in jail."

I looked up at him from across the table. "How can you even eat right now?"

Echo scoffed from where she was pacing. "He can always eat."

"Gabriel's right." Clarke agreed. "if they didn't believe I had the Flame, we'd be in cells."

"Or dead." I muttered, dropping my spoon with a sigh as Clarke stood up and began for the door.

"Where are you going?" Octavia wondered.

Clarke turned back to look at us. "To wake the others. It's time to go back to Sanctum."

"Clarke," Gabriel began as he picked up his fork. "We're under house arrest."

"I'm aware of that." She took a step back toward us. "I'm also aware our leverage disappears the minute he puts me in front of that stone."

I turned to face her. "So what are you gonna do?"

"I'm going to offer to do it as soon as the rest of you are safely back on Sanctum."

"No." I instantly argued, pushing myself out of my seat. "We're not leaving without you."

"Avery's right." Octavia agreed. "They'll kill you."

Before anymore arguments could be have, the door chimed as it slid open to reveal a series of guards and a very dishevelled looking man.  "Make way for the Shepherd."

Cadogan entered, the same docile smile on his face as always and he stood in front of the group of us.

"We need to talk." Clarke declared. "I'm ready to help you. But only after my friends are..."

She trailed off as something behind Cadogan caught her eye. He gave her a small smile before he turned and revealed a figure.

It took me a moment to register what I was seeing. But soon enough complete and utter shock overtook my body...because standing in front of us was none other than Bellamy Blake.

He didn't look the same, not at all...but it was him.

I stumbled backward, catching myself on the chair as a my heart pounded against my chest.

He was alive.

Simultaneously, Octavia and I both started forward, each of us desperate to latch onto him.

But before we could take more than a single step, all of the guards had their weapons pointed at us.

I let out a small gasp, pausing in my tracks as Octavia grabbed onto me, the two of us finding solace in each other's grasp instead.