xiii. kryptonite: unlocked

SPOILED INNOCENCE

SPOILED INNOCENCE

chapter thirteen
❝kryptonite: unlocked❞

BABY WALTERS LAID ON THE COLD WOODEN FLOOR OF NATE JACOBS ROOM FOR HOURS SOBBING. She didn't stop until her vision began to spot and everything went black, sending her into the world of slumber. She awoke close to midnight with Cal Jacobs caressing her blonde hair. 

When her eyes opened, she did nothing but look up at the older man. Slowly her memory came back to her and she sat up.

"S-something happened," Baby muttered, the tears already returning to her eyes. "Nate ch-choked me. He-he was mad and—and he just ..."

"Shh, shh, Baby," Cal cooed, pulling the girl closer to him. He placed a kiss on her head as he rubbed her back. "Nate told me. He just snapped, he didn't mean to hurt you. I know you had a panic attack, but it really was just your mind playing tricks on you."

Baby pulled back, looking into Cal's blue eyes, confused.

"But he—"

"He pushed you against the wall and trust me, he will be punished accordingly, but he never choked you, Baby. He scared you real bad, no one can blame you for that. But you're okay, right?"

"Y-yes."

He nodded approvingly, placing a kiss on her forehead.

Cal stood from where he sat on the bed. "I called your mother and told her that I found you sleeping when I came home from work. She said to just have you home when you woke up. I would rather give you a ride, but I suppose you could walk if you wanted to."

It took minutes for Baby to respond, her head spinning a mile a minute. She didn't understand what was going on.

"A ride sounds good, I just—um, I just have to grab my stuff."

"I'll meet you downstairs."

When Baby stood from the bed, she realized she had gained an article of clothing. Her shirt was covering her once again. She didn't remember putting it back on, maybe her memory was getting fuzzy. Maybe Cal was right.

THREE DAYS AFTER HER PANIC ATTACK, BABY STARTED TO QUESTION IF HER MEMORY WAS REALLY THAT CLEAR AT ALL. She started to forget most of the situation entirely. She remembered snooping through his phone and why as well as taking her shirt off to try and trick him, but she started to forget the words he spoke. She remembered the anger in Nate's brown eyes and collapsing to the grown in a fit of tears, but everything was blurry. Even her preconceived notion that Nate chocked her started to leave her mind when no bruises appeared on her neck.

Maybe her mind was just playing tricks on her.

"You can't tell anyone about this," Maddy said as she looked down at Baby's phone. "I'm being really fucking serious, Baby. Not another goddamn soul, okay?"