iii. kings cross

When I found out that the train station I was meant to go to was the same one Platform Nine-and-Three-Quarters was written after, I was absolutely exhilarated. Though I was against going to a boarding school, at least taking a train seemed fun as my grandmother didn't want to drive me all the way there– too long of a drive, she said.

With my luggage ready, I waved my grandmother goodbye. She said I didn't need her, the signs were all direct and there were employees to help me find my way if anything. I didn't mind one bit. As soon as I got into the station, the first thing I did was rip out the ugly shoulder pillows from the inside of my blazer and pull my coat closed.

Slowly, I made my way to the tenth platform, excited to pass by the third column between nine and ten. I hadn't a camera phone I could use to take a picture but I was happy to just be there. As I made my way past the platforms a wild thought entered my mind: Run at the wall.

"Are you stupid?" I mumbled to myself under my breath. Though my comment hadn't been low enough and a passing commuter nearly broke her neck to look at me. I quickened my pace and looked down at my feet.

The most you'll get is a bruised shoulder.

"Yeah and completely embarrassed," I said again, shaking the thought out of my head.

As I passed the ninth platform, I slowly looked up to see the tenth platform three columns away. I was nearly "at the spot." There had to be no less than a thousand people at this station, all in their own worlds– some on phones, others reading, and even hurrying to catch departing trains.

No one will see you do it. It'll be fun.

Groaning once more, I passed the halfway mark. Though I knew I was going to look ridiculous, I couldn't help but want to run at it. My heart raced at the idea of passing through the wall. I'm officially insane.

In my time of reading these stories, I've always wanted to go to Hogwarts and the actual Platform nine and three quarters. I was nearly as excited as I was the time my dad took me to Universal Studios in Florida to the Harry Potter world and was able to go through the fake wall and train. The excitement burned my ears and the embarrassment coloured my face.

Shaking my head, I laughed airily and took a deep breath as I made it towards the column.

"God save me," I mumbled. Taking out a small notepad, I made it seem as though I was looking on a phone and hurrying to a train. If anyone noticed, it would look as though I was too preoccupied to notice the wall.

With the will of insanity, I braced myself for impact, only to bump into someone instead of something. We both fell to the ground with a loud oomph and groan.

Looking up, I gasped, "Oh Jesus H. Christ, I knocked myself out."

Looking around, I'd come to the end of a tunnel that's opened up towards another train track. There were people standing around, looking as if they were waiting for—

The train was beautiful. It was coming this way. The front of it read Hogwarts Express. I gasped at the sight of it and stared in awe. Another groan called my attention and I look down, a small boy sat on the floor with fallen books and a trunk around him.

"Oh! I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to knock you down. Are you okay?" I asked furiously, extending my hand to him.

"I'm alright, why were you running so fast? We have more than ten minutes until the train leaves," he asked grabbing my extended hand.

"I— I'm sorry. I didn't think I would get through the platform," I mumbled.

"It's not locked, why wouldn't you get through?" he asked another question.