xxxiv. horrible confrontation

St Mungo's was absolutely terrifying between the method of arrival and the wards within the hospital. Not only did we finally see Mr Weasley, but we bumped into Hogwarts former professor, Lockhart, and even saw Neville, who was visiting his parents for Christmas. It was upsetting to see how. . . lifeless the Longbottom's were thanks to Bellatrix Lestrange.

But Christmas didn't start the way I had wanted.

Last Christmas, I had spent it at Hogwarts with my friends and ended it with having a garden as a dance partner at the Triwizard Yule Ball. This Christmas Eve, I was woken up to singing carols and shouting; the singing belonged to Sirius, while the shouting belonged to Mrs Black. I could hear all the voices echoing up through the floor in the cold and empty drawing room where I was sitting with Harry, watching the sky outside the windows growing whiter, threatening snow. Guilt ate at my bones as I heard the lovely family enjoying themselves down there; they'd be happier if Mr Weasley was with them. I didn't feel like participating in the Christmas celebration, but I also didn't want to be alone. I asked Harry to stay with me, seeing his reluctance to leave the bedroom.

"You know I love you right, Lottie?" said Harry after a long while of silence.

"Although I don't deserve your love, thank you," I answered quietly. "I love you, too, Harry."

We didn't talk much after that, just enjoying each other's comfort and company. Later in the day, there was a loud knock on the drawing room door, where I had isolated myself. Not making any indication of moving, Harry sighed as he stood up to answer it.

"Hermione," Harry gasped, "what are you doing here? I thought you were going skiing with your parents!"

"Well, to tell the truth, skiing's not really my thing," said Hermione. "So I've come for Christmas."

Looking up, I saw there was snow in her hair and her face was pink with cold.

"How'd you get out of that?" Harry asked.

"Well, Mum and Dad were a bit disappointed, but I've told them that everyone who's serious about the exams is staying at Hogwarts to study. They want me to do well, they'll understand."

"Lottie," she said softly, "it's cold in here. Let's go to our bedroom, Ron's mum's lit a fire in there and she's sent up sandwiches."

Out of the drawing room, we made our way over to the bedroom where Ron and Ginny sat. Hermione sat down next to Ginny while Harry took a seat on my bed, motioning me over; the two girls and Ron looked up at me while I sat down

"How're you feeling, Harry? Lottie?" asked Hermione.

"Fine," said Harry stiffly.

"I'm all right," I nodded.

"Oh, don't lie," she said impatiently. "Ron and Ginny say you two have been hiding from everyone since you got back from St. Mungo's."

"They do, do they?" said Harry, glaring at Ron and Ginny. Ron looked down at his feet but Ginny seemed quite unabashed.

"Well, you have!" she said. "And you won't look at any of us!"

"It's you lot who won't look at me!" said Harry angrily.

"Maybe you're taking it in turns to look and keep missing each other," suggested Hermione, the corners of her mouth twitching.

"Very funny," snapped Harry, turning away.

"Oh, stop feeling all misunderstood," said Hermione sharply.

"I'm perfectly fine, it's Lottie who is the misunderstood one," Harry snapped.