iv. hogwarts

Instead of taking the boats as the first-years did, I followed the trio to the carriages where it would take us to the castle. I marvelled at my surroundings and gasped at the beautiful landscape. The sky opened up and let out a flood of little droplets. Thunder shook the ground and lightning lit up the dark sky.

"I'm so glad I didn't take the boats with the other newbies," I laughed softly, watching the rain race on the carriage window and trying to defuse the tension.

"Why didn't you go in the boats with the first years?" Hermione raised her brow at me. Ever since Draco came into the cabin, on the train, she had been quite snappy and cold towards me.

"I'm not a first-year," I answered coolly.

"But it is your first year," she glared.

I tilted my head and stared at her, "have I done something wrong?"

At my question, both Harry and Ron turned their attention towards us. They seemed to have been in their own world while Hermione questioned me.

"No, but—"

"Then why he tone? To my knowledge, I have been nothing other than kind towards you three. This entire time, you've constantly have found something to snap at me about. You seem so suspicious of me, yet I've done nothing," I frowned further.

Harry opened his mouth, but Hermione butted, "I'm not being snappy or mean! And I'm only suspicious of you because you— you seem like a spy."

"A spy?" I raised my brows. "Are we back to the 60s— instead the roles are reversed: The American in a spy instead of the Russians!"

"Y-you pretend to not know Harry, when that's impossible. Just because you're American doesn't mean you haven't heard of him," huffed Hermione. "Plus, you wear your American-ism like a badge or something."

"So because I don't know your lovely little friend automatically makes me suspicious? I haven't even done anything. And I 'wear my American-ism' because I'm new and don't sound like you guys!"

"Just... you! You're American and—"

"So because I'm American, I'm untrustworthy?" I spat.

Hermione widened her eyes at my comment, "I never said you were—"

"Well, you act like it," I scoffed.

"I don't think Hermione means that, Lottie," Harry tried.

"Yeah, your accent is quite nice," Ron mumbled.

"I just don't understand why Hermione is acting like I- I- I'm a Death Eater or something!" I stuttered, turning on the theatrics. The three of them gasp at my outburst and I sigh tiredly, "I've just been trying to make friends with people who aren't over a thousand miles away. Yet here I am, in a country I've never been to, with people who obviously don't like me just because of my accent!"

"That's not what I—"

"I like you," Ron muttered.

"Yeah, you're cool and seem to keep Malfoy in check," Harry laughed awkwardly.

"It's fine," I mumbled and scooted away from Harry, staring at the rain. I could hear the trio whispering under their breath to one another. It sounded like Harry and Ron scolding Hermione for being mean.

Turning out of their little argument, I watched as the castle came into view. Of course, I saw it before, from on the train, but this time the castle wasn't blocked by any windows or trees. Just standing in its own glory. As we came up to the gates, the sky seemed to have opened up and poured a horrible rain over the castle grounds.