liv. turn of events

After our last lesson of the day, Harry and I walked to the common room by ourselves; Ron had rushed off to the nearby bathroom to throw up, and Hermione dashed off to see Professor Vector about a mistake she thought she might have made in her last Arithmancy essay. Hermione and I didn't tell Harry or Ron our conversation from before, knowing one of the boys would try to hex Draco the moment they saw him. In silence, Harry and I walked up the stairs, but instead of stopping on the fourth floor to go to Gryffindor Tower, Harry continued to walk up.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"Seventh floor," he responded.

"Oh, I want to come with. Let's see what we've got," I followed him.

Harry pulled out the Marauder's Map as we made it to the floor. Looking at the map, I searched for Draco's name, since we were making our way to the Room of Requirments, but actually saw the tiny, labelled dot standing in the boys' bathroom on the floor below us, accompanied by Moaning Mrytle.

Bathroom with Draco. . . why did that sound so familiar?

"Maybe he's the boy she was talking about!" Harry gasped.

"The one that cries?"

"Yes," Harry grabbed my hand and pulled me down the stairs and towards the bathroom. "Wait here."

"Wait—" I gasped, remembering the foreboding events, but Harry has already advanced forward.

Harry very quietly pushed the door open to hear the soft sobs of Draco Malfoy. Instead of waiting outside the boys' bathroom, I quickly followed Harry, tip-toeing behind him. Draco was standing with his back to the poor, his hands clutching either side of the sink, his white-blond head bowed.

"Don't," cooed Moaning Myrtle's voice from one of the cubicles. "Don't... tell me what's wrong... I can help you..."

"No one can help me," said Draco. His whole body was shaking. "I can't do it... I can't... It won't work... and unless I do it soon... he says he'll kill me..."

Harry stopped short, watching Draco cry, causing me to bump into him with an oomph. Draco gasped and gulped and then, with a great shudder, looked up into the cracked mirror and locked eyes with me, then Harry.

Draco wheeled around, drawing his wand. Instinctively, Harry and I pulled out our own. Draco's hex missed Harry by inches, shattering the lamp on the wall beside me; Harry pushed me to the side as he jumped sideways and flicked his wand, but Draco blocked the jinx and raised his wand for another.

"No! No! Stop it!" I squealed. "Stop! STOP!"

Moaning Mrytle quickly disappeared from the bathroom, through the wall.

There was a loud bang and the bin behind me exploded.

Quickly jumping out of range, I thought "Impedimenta!" and flicked my wand towards Draco who threw another jinx at Harry. I misfired and hit the wall behind Draco's ear.

Angry, Draco narrowed his eyes at me and shouted "Crucio!"

I fell to the floor and gasped in pain, writhing on the floor. Hot needles pried at my skin, tears fell from my eyes and down my face, my lungs crying for air.

"SECTUMSEMPRA!" bellowed Harry from the floor, waving his wand wildly.

The pain stopped and I turned on my hands and knees, gasping for air.

"No —" gasped Harry.

I looked up from my position to see Draco laying on the waterlogged floor. Gasping, I scrambled up and run over to Draco who had a large gash from his face to his stomach, looking as though he had been slashed with an invisible sword.