lxi. back at the ministry

After our argument, Hermione fixed Harry's face and had us both apologize to each other, like children. Later on in the night, Kreacher came back with Mundungus only to tell us that Dolores Umbridge stole it from him.

As August continued, more and more people began to stalk Grimmauld Place. The lurkers were never the same two days running, although they all seemed to share a dislike for normal clothing. Most of the Londoners who passed them were used to eccentric dressers and took little notice, though occasionally one of them might glance back, wondering why anyone would wear such long cloaks in this heat.

On the first day of September, there were more people lurking in the square than ever before. Half a dozen men in long cloaks stood silent and watchful, gazing as ever at houses eleven and thirteen, but the thing for which they were waiting still appeared elusive.

"I've got news and you won't like it," Harry walked into the kitchen where Ron, Hermione, and I were waiting as Kreacher cooked dinner.

"What's happened?" Ron asked apprehensively.

Harry threw a paper at Ron, Hermione and I looked over Ron's shoulder. A large picture of a familiar, hook-nosed, black-haired man stared up at them all, beneath a headline that read:

SEVERUS SNAPE CONFIRMED AS HOGWARTS HEADMASTER

"No!" said Ron and Hermione loudly. My heart dropped into my stomach at the news.

"Well, at least we know exactly where Snape is now," Harry shrugged.

Kreacher came over and placed a bowl of soup in front of us. Ever since Harry had been nice to him, Kreacher had been the best house-elf I've ever seen.

"There are still a load of Death Eaters watching the house," he told us as we ate, "more than usual. It's like they're hoping we'll march out carrying our school trunks and head off for the Hogwarts Express."

"I've been thinking about that all day. It left nearly six hours ago. Weird, not being on it, isn't it?" Ron said, glancing at his watch.

"I reckon our friends are alright, yeah? Ginny and Luna and Neville," I sighed. Maybe even Draco...

Harry, Ron, and Hermione only nodded in response, shoveling hot soup into their mouths to avoid answering the unknown question.

"So, Harry, what else happened today?" Hermione asked.

"Nothing," said Harry. "Watched the Ministry entrance for seven hours. No sign of her. Saw your dad, though, Ron. He looks fine."

Ron nodded his appreciation of this news.

"Dad always told us most Ministry people use the Floo Network to get to work," Ron said. "That's why we haven't seen Umbridge, she'd never walk, she'd think she's too important."

"And what about that funny old witch, little wizard, and the lanky wizard in the navy robes?" I asked.

"Oh yeah, the blokes from Magical Maintenance," said Ron.

"I s'pose," I nodded.

"I think we should do it tomorrow," said Harry all of a sudden.

Hermione stopped dead, her jaw hanging; Ron choked a little over his soup; I dropped my spoon back in my bowl.

"Tomorrow?" I echoed. "You aren't serious, Harry?"

"I am," said Harry. "I don't think we're going to be much better prepared than we are now even if we skulk around the Ministry entrance for another month. The longer we put it off, the farther away that locket could be. There's already a good chance Umbridge has chucked it away; the thing doesn't open."