lxii. splinched

There were leaves in my mouth as I screamed out in pain. I was on my back on the ground and could hear crunching around me. My breath was caught in my chest as I panted and wheezed— I couldn't breathe. Every nerve in my body was taunted and I was on edge. Being disoriented and in pain, in an unknown place, was terrifying.

"Lottie?" a voice called out.

I tried to move, but as I did, I felt my lungs cry out in pain, hot fire falling down my side. My vision blurred as I tried to breathe and catch my breath, all while my screams grew louder as I forced myself to move, causing me to screw my eyes closed once more.

"Lottie, stay still!" Harry's voice sounded distant and pressure was placed on my shoulders.

"Harry, quickly, in my bag, there's a small bottle labelled 'Essence of Dittany'," Hermione's voice said further than his.

"Hermione, I can't— I— okay," he sputtered.

There was another rustle by me and Hermione shouted at Harry to hurry— he Summoned it. I tried to move again, but I grew dizzy as I did. My screams stopped as it grew harder and harder to catch my breath. I felt as though I was dying if this is what it felt like: Tunnelling vision and radiating pain.

"Harry," I groaned and opened my eyes to a squint.

I was eye level with the ground and saw all types of trees. Hermione and Harry were a few feet away from me, looking over someone. It was Ron.

"It's all I feel safe doing," said Hermione shakily. "There are spells that would put him completely right, but I daren't try in case I do them wrong and cause more damage... He's lost so much blood already..."

" 'Mione," I moaned, catching my breath.

I saw both of them run over to me. Hermione grabbed my robes and ripped them, exposing my torso and chest.

"I didn't even see you'd been— oh, Merlin," Hermione muttered. She then poured something on me: It was hot and cold and burned badly, but the pain started to go away. I hissed at the burn and groaned as my heart began to slow down from its rapid rhythm.

Again, I moved from my laying position to sit up. My head spun and I felt hot liquid go down my front., Touching my left ribs, I saw my fingers stained with red. With my other hand, I wiped the sweat from my face and fixed my robes, to not expose myself.

"What happened?" I asked in disbelief.

"You and Ron got Splinched," Hermione said.

"How do you feel?" said Harry.

"Like I got Splinched," I mumbled. "Bloody hell, I thought I was dying. That was more terrifying than the first time. I'll be alright though. Is Ron okay?"

"He should be," frowned Hermione.

"How? I mean —" I shook my head (bad idea, my brain swirled)— "why are we here? I thought we were going back to Grimmauld Place?"

"I don't think we're going to be able to go back there."

"What d'you — ?"

"As we Disapparated, Yaxley caught hold of me and I couldn't get rid of him, he was too strong, and he was still holding on when we arrived at Grimmauld Place, and then — well, I think he must have seen the door, and thought we were stopping there, so he slackened his grip and I managed to shake him off and I brought us here instead!"

"But then, where's he?" Harry said. "Hang on... You don't mean he's at Grimmauld Place? He can't get in there?"

Her eyes sparkled with unshed tears as she nodded.