x. friendships

"I didn't put my name in," Harry said blankly. "You know I didn't."

Ron and Hermione just stared back at him, not saying a word.

"I know you didn't, Harry," I reassured him.

At my comment, both of them looked at me in surprise. At the top table, Professor Dumbledore had straightened up, nodding to Professor McGonagall.

"Harry Potter!" he called again. "Harry! Up here, if you please!"

"Go on," I whispered, giving Harry a slight push.

Harry got to his feet, trod on the hem of his robes, and stumbled slightly. He set off up the gap between the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff tables. He wobbled as he made his way up the stairs towards the top table. Harry was right in front of Dumbledore, the stares of all the teachers upon him.

Harry moved off along the teachers' table. Hagrid looked completely astonished and stared at Harry as he passed like everyone else. Harry went through the door out of the Great Hall and left everyone shocked.

"He didn't do it," I told Ron and Hermione.

"I want to know how–" Ron started.

"There is no how, Ron. Someone set him up. I have to tell Dumbledore," I cut him off.

"Of course, you'd believe him," Ron spat as I ran away towards the little door where the champions were seated.

"–don't go blaming Dumbledore for Potter's determination to break rules," accused Snape. "He has been crossing lines ever since he arrived here —"

"He didn't do it," I blurted. All of the judges, with the addition of Professor McGonagall and Snape, turned to me.

"So you—" Snape tried to accuse me.

"I'm not seventeen either," I dead planned. "Someone set him up. Since the beginning of his time here, at Hogwarts, there have been people— Professors, even— that have tried to harm Harry—"

"Are you trying to accuse—"

"Thank you, Severus," said Dumbledore firmly, and Snape went quiet, though his eyes still glared malevolently.

Professor Dumbledore turned to Harry and beckoned me over with the turn of his fingers. Standing next to Harry, I looked up at Dumbledore, trying to discern the expression in his eyes.

"Did you put your name into the Goblet of Fire, Harry?" he asked.

"No," said Harry. Snape scoffed in disbelief.

"Did you ask an older student to put it into the Goblet of Fire for you?"

"No!"

"Ah, but of course 'e is lying!" cried Madame Maxime.

"Ma'am, he's not lying!" I turned to her. "Why would he voluntarily try to get himself killed in this insane tournament?"

"He could not have crossed the Age Line," said Professor McGonagall sharply. "I am sure we are all agreed on that —"

"Dumbly-dorr must 'ave made a mistake wiz ze line," said Madame Maxime, shrugging.

"He didn't make a mistake," I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Really, what nonsense! Harry could not have crossed the line himself, and as Professor Dumbledore believes that he did not persuade an older student to do it for him, I'm sure that should be good enough for everybody else!" Professor McGonagall furrowed her eyebrows in anger.

"Then what you do think happened, Miss. . ." asked Karkaroff, who didn't know my name.

"Someone is sabotaging him! And what completely sucks is the fact that no matter what, Harry will be forced to participate, for this is a magically binding contract!" I threw my hands in the air. At my huff, Harry placed his hand on my arm and gave me a small smile of gratitude.