xv. boys

After Potions, before I could go to dinner with Hermione, Draco pulled me aside. We hadn't spoken since last week when Pansy and I had fought over the article. He hadn't even more than glanced at me, even though we were Potion's partners.

"Can I talk to you?" he asked timidly.

"You are right now," I stated.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"You just did," I raised a brow at him.

"You are so infuriating, you know?"

"Thanks for letting me know. Bye," I turned to leave but he grabbed my arm. "What, Malfoy?"

"Please don't do that," he pleaded.

"Talk to you? Happily."

"No, talk to me like your friends do. With spite and anger," he explained.

"Well, I am. I'm pretty angry at you. You lie to a reporter about me and then when I confront you, you get mad at me. It's like you want me to act like a pretty little housewife with no opinions or emotions," I spat.

"I want to apologize."

"Then do it," I rolled my eyes. Looking at the concrete walls, I shuddered, "And keep up with me, I need air. This dungeon is too depressing."

I heard Draco get in step next to me as we make it up the stairs, going towards the Quidditch Pitch– my safe haven.

"I thought you were going to the library, not the field," commented Draco.

"I thought you were going to apologize, not judge me for my decisions on—"

"Okay, okay," Draco sighed. "I just– I wanted to say that I'm sorry."

"For?" I look at him quickly before walking through the door towards the field.

"For? For what?"

"Exactly. What are you sorry for?"

"I—" Draco thought hard. I knew I threw him for a loop. He thought he would give me a half-ass apology and I'd befriend him that quickly, but he's wrong. "Lottie..."

"I won't accept any apology unless you tell me what you're apologizing for," I informed him.

Taking a deep breath, Draco grabbed my arm, spinning me around. He looked sad– sadder than usual. I felt bad for him, but that didn't mean I'd forgive him for nothing. The wind, at the field, blew hard, making my hair fly all over my face. I spun my hair around my hand and held it, keeping it in place so I could see.

"Charlotte, I- I'm sorry for being a prat. Truly. I should be a-a better friend and try harder to be kinder t-to you. . . and your friends, if you please," Draco added. "I- I guess, seeing you with—"

"Excuse me," a voice interrupted behind me. Draco groaned slightly as I turned around. Cedric stood behind me with a large smile. He has his broom in hand and a box, which held all the Quidditch balls.

"We're in the middle of something right now," Draco informed him.

"Oh, I just need to ask Charlie a question really quickly, if you don't mind," Cedric smiled tightly at Draco.

"Actually I—" I spun to look at Draco, who seemed extremely pissed off. But when he saw that I faced him, he sighed deeply, "yeah, go ahead. I'll just wait here while you take your sweet time." He mumbled the last part so only I could hear him.

"It'll be one second. I'll be right back to hear the rest of your lovely apology. You're doing good so far," I smiled at Draco. Turning back around, I walked away from Draco, with Cedric, for a little privacy. "What's up?" I asked.