lxxiv. memories

A sudden high, cold voice spoke close to us causing Harry to haul me off the floor, holding the flask in his hand. Voldemort's voice reverberated from the walls and floor, talking to Hogwarts and to all the surrounding area, that the residents of Hogsmeade and all those still fighting in the castle would hear him as clearly as if he stood beside them, his breath on the back of our necks, a deathblow away.

". . .Harry Potter, directly to you. You have permitted your friends to die for you rather than face me yourself. I shall wait for one hour in the Forbidden Forest. If, at the end of that hour, you have not come to me, have not given yourself up, then battle recommences. This time, I shall enter the fray myself, Harry Potter, and I shall find you, and I shall punish every last man, woman, and child who has tried to conceal you from me. One hour."

"He's lying," I seethed. "I'm not going to lose you, too!"

"Let's — let's get back to the castle," Hermione said, shaking her head, "if he's gone to the forest we'll need to think of a new plan —"

Hermione led the way through the tunnel, in silence, the only thing breaking it was my sniffles and coughs.

Small bundles seemed to litter the lawn at the front of the castle. It could only be an hour or so from dawn, yet it was pitch-black. The four of us hurried toward the stone steps. A lone clog, the size of a small boat, lay abandoned in front of them. There was no other sign of Grawp or of his attacker.

The castle was unnaturally silent. There were no flashes of light now, no bangs or screams or shouts. The flagstones of the deserted entrance hall were stained with blood. Emeralds were still scattered all over the floor, along with pieces of marble and splintered wood. Part of the bannisters had been blown away.

"Where is everyone?" whispered Hermione.

Ron led the way to the Great Hall. I stopped in the doorway.

The House tables were gone and the room was crowded. The survivors stood in groups, their arms around each other's necks. The injured were being treated upon the raised platform by Madam Pomfrey and a group of helpers. Firenze was amongst the injured; his flank poured blood and he shook where he lay, unable to stand.

The dead lay in a row in the middle of the Hall. Mrs Weasley noticed our presence and quickly rushed over to me, giving me hugs and kisses.

"Y-y-you saved F-Fred," she cried. "A-Arthur told me of what y-you said."

"M-Ma'am?"

I heard Hermione gasp. Pulling away from Mrs Weasley, I looked as to where she was looking at. Hermione was standing next to Ginny, whose face was swollen and blotchy; Ron was with Bill, Fleur, and Percy; Harry was standing next to Sirius and Mr Weasley. As Ginny and Hermione moved closer to the group, I had a clear view of the bodies they huddled around: Remus and Tonks, pale and still and peaceful-looking apparently asleep beneath the dark, enchanted ceiling.

My breath hitched in my throat and more tears fell. With a shaky breath, I looked over to Harry who had the same reaction as me. His eyes met mine and he gave me a little nod. Harry took my hand and led me out of the Hall. I hiccuped as we go up the marble staircase.

The castle was completely empty; even the ghosts seemed to have joined the mass mourning in the Great Hall. We ran without stopping and did not slow down until we reached the stone gargoyle guarding the headmaster's office. The office was empty, much like the feeling in my chest. The portraits that hung all around the walls were empty. Not a single headmaster or headmistress remained to see us; all, it seemed, had flitted away, charging through the paintings that lined the castle, so that they could have a clear view of what was going on.