lxv. accidental unforgivables

Hermione sat next to Harry's semi-conscious body while I paced back and forth, fiddling with Draco's necklace around my neck, trying to figure out what happened. Harry trashed and cried, probably envisioning Voldemort and Death Eaters.

"Harry!" Hermione shook him out of his terrified state for the fourth time.

This time he actually shot up and stayed conscious.

"We got away," said Harry looking around at the tent.

"Yes, Hermione and I had to use a Hover Charm to get you into your bunk, we couldn't lift you," I shook my head and stopped pacing.

"You've been ill," Hermione said. "Quite ill."

"How long ago did we leave?"

"Hours ago," I sat on the edge of Harry's bunk. "It's nearly morning."

"And I've been... what, unconscious?"

"Not exactly," said Hermione uncomfortably. "You've been shouting and moaning and...things."

Harry looked terrified.

"The Horcrux," I said, touching my chest, "it... melted into my chest. It was stuck to me. Hermione had to use a Severing Charm to get it off me."

"And the snake bit you, but I've cleaned the wound and put some dittany on it," Hermione added.

Harry pulled up his sleeve and looked at the half-healed puncture marks on his forearm and shook his head, "Where've you put the Horcrux?"

"In my bag," said Hermione, "I think we should keep it off for a while."

"We shouldn't have gone to Godric's Hollow. It's my fault, it's all my fault— I put you guys in danger, I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault. We wanted to go too; I really thought Dumbledore might have left the sword there," I sighed.

"What happened, Harry?" Hermione whispered after a bit of silence. "What happened when she took you two upstairs? Was the snake hiding somewhere? Did it just come out and kill her and attack you guys?"

"No," Harry shook his head. "She was the snake— the snake was her."

"W-what?" Hermione breathed.

"Bathilda must've been dead a while. That's probably the blood you found," Harry explained. "The snake w-was inside her. You-Know-Who put it there in Godric's Hollow, to wait. You were right. He knew I'd go back."

"The snake was inside her?"

"Lupin said there would be magic we'd never imagined," Harry said. "She didn't want to talk in front of you guys because it was Parseltongue, all Parseltongue—"

"Parseltongue? I've only ever spoken— but how did— how is it possible that the snake knew I could..." I trailed off.

"The snake knew you as Snape," Harry coughed. "And You-Know-Who knows who you are as well; the only other Slytherin Hier."

"Because your nothing was Gaunt," Hermione breathed.

"But the snake sent a message to You-Know-Who, I heard it happen inside my head, I felt him get excited, he said to keep me there...and then..."

"Before it could attack you, I tried to Stun it, but my hands were so shaky and-and—"

"It wasn't supposed to kill me, just keep me there till You-Know-Who came," Harry scoffed.

Harry sat up straighter and threw back the covers, trying to get up.

"Harry, no, I'm sure you ought to rest!" I stood up.