CHAPTER 14.3

SIDE STORY 14.3
ᴠɪᴇᴡᴘᴏɪɴᴛ ᴏꜰ ꜱʜɪɴʀᴀ ᴋᴀɢᴇʏᴀᴍᴀ
────────────────────────

"What are you doing here, Fushiguro-kun?" I asked after I reached his spot.

He's currently lying down on a grassy ground, underneath the shade of a young big tree that is protecting him from the heat of scorching sun, near the oval of our school where my friends is also training for the Sister School Event.

"Just taking a small break," he casually replied before gazing his eyes towards mine. "You?"

"Same as you, I guess?" I then comfortably sits myself beside Fushiguro-kun, "Here," before handling him a clean handkerchief from the pocket of my uniform and my supposed to be bottle of water, "you're sweating . . . a lot . . . and I mean it."

He simply stare at it for a second before taking the handkerchief, but not the water. "This is enough. Thank you."

"If . . . If you say so."

"And I'll wash this first before I ga—huh?"

I jolted in surprise when he suddenly sits up and grab my left hand.

"What happened to your hand, Shinra-senpai?" he hurriedly asked while slowly caressing the tip of my worn out index finger. 

"O-Oh, I . . . uhh . . ."

How should I explain this? I don't want to disappoint his expectation or something, bu-but . . . is it even worth it? Should I really need to tell him?

START OF FLASHBACK . . .

"Huh? You want me to teach you how to wield a sword? I thought you didn't like the idea of holding any weapon?" Maki-san asked while wiping the beads of sweat in her forehead. "What's the sudden change of heart, Mob?"

"I . . . I simply don't want to rely too much on my psychic powers when it comes the time that we need to fight someone which is c-clearly not a cursed spirit." I then try to swallow that strange lump in my throat. "I want to protect everyone using my o-own skill. I know how absurd m-my idea is bu-but, I think that's the rightful thing to d—"

"Yup, it's indeed absurd."

"O-Oh, ri-right, I'm sorry for as—"

"I mean your psychic power, did you just rent it or something? Is it not already your own skill? I'm not aware that you can pull something like tha—"

"N-No! No, but..."

"Sadly, there's no room in here for that kind of righteousness." She then coldly shifted her attention at me. "Don't underestimate your enemy just like how you belittle yourself, Mob." 

I decided to keep my mouth shut as I slowly avert my eyes towards the wooden surface of Maki's private training room.

"When it comes on fighting, whether your intention is to attack or protect, always give your hundred percent best if you truly want to survive and see the next sunrise with the same valuable purpose and reason to keep on moving."

A moment of deafening silence passed before I hear a low sigh.

"However, if that's really what your desired path to take..."

I immediately look up after I felt something coming at me.

"Then I, and we, will surely respect it and help you grow, Mob."

My brown irises slightly tremble in surprise when a katana with black sheath greets my eyes. 

"What's the purpose of our friendship if we can't support each others happiness, right?" Maki-san asked with a huge grin in her lips.

Using my psychic ability, I unconsciously stop that thing before it could even hit me.

"Now, show me how do you hold that katana without using your psychic ability."

"Uhh..."

"C'mon~! You want me to teach you, right?"

"O-Oh! Ye-Yes! Yes..." I unconsciously grip on my chest because of the sudden tingling sensation that I felt there. "Tha-Thank you . . . . thank you so much, Maki-sa—ack!"

My whole body almost fell to the ground after I got a grip on that katana without using my psychic ability.

This is bad . . . I didn't expect that this thing . . . is kind of . . . heavy. 

But why? It looks weightless in most anime and manga that I read.

Maki-san just blankly stare at me for a couple of awkward seconds, before giving me a blatant assessment about how I must improve my physical strength first, then an earful of another long reprimands to satisfy her frustration at me.

Sorry for dragging you into this mess, Maki-san, but this is surely going to be a long day for the two of us.

. . . ENDING OF FLASHBACK

"H-Heavy."

"Huh?"

Yes, I'm going to tell him...

I look at the other direction first, "I . . . I tried to ca-carry heavy things."

But not the entire story...

"Without using my powers."

Because Fushiguro-kun will surely going to laugh at me if he knew that I can't properly hold some simple things like that katan—

"Oh, is it because of your training with Maki-san?"

Huh?

My eyes shot widened as I gradually move my head to look at him again.

"Is it your first time holding a katan—oh, I mean a wooden sword, Shinra-senpai?"

How did he...

"You still can't hold a proper sword, right?"

How did he knew about tha—

"Maki-san told me," he calmly replied while still holding my hand and stroking gently my finger.

Ahh...

Yup...

Nevermind.

ᴠᴇʀɢᴇɴᴄᴀɴᴛ