Chapter 18: The Worst Crime

HEY EVERYONE! Sorry for taking so long to get another chapter out! I've been in such a rut lately. This chapter is also quite short, but I hope getting this out will allow me to get back into the groove a bit. I still hope you enjoy it.

I'm planning on focusing on finishing this story primarily. Might be putting my Robin story on hiatus for a little while, sorry about that. I want to invest everything into this story so my output is better. I've been spreading myself too thin.

--Y/N POV--
Ever since showing the Askran siblings that vision, they had listened and followed my every command. Whether it was out of fear or respect, I didn't know. Perhaps I didn't want to know. For all I knew, they saw me as a monster. One that had to be put down before it was too late.

I thought of myself as something like that every now and then. The powers bestowed upon me would eventually consume my entire being. What would happen then?

I didn't want to leave Lucina alone in this world. That would be the worst crime possible. Just focus on saving her first, Y/N. That's all that matters right now. 

But was it? I looked around the large room, before returning my gaze to the map on the table below me. Alfonse was successfully vacating all the inhabitants of Askr & the surrounding areas to a safe place further away. Soon, the only people left in the capital would be the Heroes and Askr's army. 

The army and majority of the Heroes would be tasked with defending the castle walls. There was no way we would stop them from breaking into the city- I did not want to spread ourselves too thin. I'd also have to recruit a certain group of Heroes to help me with what I had to do. Providing cover when I went after Lucina and Hel.

Taking a deep breath, I left the room and began to roam the castle. Okay. I would focus on recruiting my inner group for now. One step at a time. One step at a time...

--Lyn POV--
I was... bored. Incredibly bored. Pulled into this foreign world against my will, only to be forgotten and brushed aside like yesterday's trash. Was I doomed to be stuck here forever?

Perhaps Hel waging all-out war on us wouldn't be so bad if I got a chance to fight. 

I was returning from my usual daily training in the Askran forest. Not fighting didn't give me an excuse to lose my edge. 

The journey back was uneventful... until I bumped into someone who was in a terrible rush. 

???: O-Oh! Sorry!

I righted myself with ease, eyeing the H/C person skeptically. "No problem..."

Turning away, I was about to continue making my way to where I needed to go when I felt the person grab my arm.

???: WAIT! What... What weapon do you use?

Lyn: W-Weapon? I... I use a sword most of the time. But I'm well-versed in a bow and arrow as well. 

He paused, pondering on something, before seemingly coming to a decision. "What's your name?"

Lyn: Lyn. Why?

Y/N: Lyn! I'm Y/N. I'm recruiting a team of heroes for an extremely important mission, vital to us surviving Hel's attack. I could really use someone with a prowess in both long and short range combat.

Extremely important? Vital to our survival? I liked the sound of that. But as much as I missed the heat of battle... there was something I missed more.

Lyn: Okay. On one condition.

Y/N: What?

Lyn: I get sent back to my world after this war is over.

Y/N only nodded, understanding perfectly. "I'll do everything in my power to get that done. I promise."

The amount of conviction in his words startled me. Maybe he understood where I was coming from... was he originally from this world, or had he been whisked away, with no time for protest?

Lyn: It's a deal.

I held out my hand, and he shook it, before running off again. "Come find me in the castle later! We'll discuss battle plans."

Standing there, mouth open, I watched as he left my line of sight. Only then did I realize- WHERE in the castle would he be?? I sighed, but internally I was smiling. There was a little glimmer of hope in the tunnel I was stuck in. If everything went to plan, I'd be back home soon enough.

--Timeskip--
--Y/N POV--
I was back in the large room the Askran siblings had given me, awaiting the heroes I had recruited. It came to me in a flash that I had forgotten to give any of them directions to the damn place! Things like this were occurring more often than not nowadays. Forgetting how to hold a conversation with someone, normal etiquette, common sense... I was becoming less human. I could feel my insides changing, and it... scared me. 

Ever since Lucina had first disappeared, I had found that the strongest emotion I felt at all times was... fear. A fear of losing her, a fear of losing myself. 

Sinking further into my chair as I dove into despair, I failed to hear the door opening. 

Lyn: Y/N? We finally made it.

I swerved around, startled to find Lyn in the doorway. Behind her were the other two heroes I had recruited- Niles & Lysithea. With the two of them, I would be able to formulate my final plan. I was required to use a small amount of heroes, as to not draw Hel's attention to us. We had to keep her focused on taking Askr. Lyn would back me up, keeping by my side while Niles took out any adversaries with his bow from a distance. 

Lysithea would also provide cover, allowing me and Lyn to progress steadily without trouble.

Y/N: Good, good. Apologies for not remembering to give any of you directions. Please, take a seat.

Younger me would've scoffed at how formal I was sounding. This person I had become... it wasn't me. It wasn't the person Lucina had fallen in love with. Would she still see me the same way when I saved her?

I shook those thoughts off, taking a look at the three people I had called here today. They stared back skeptically, Lysithea with one eyebrow raised, Niles with a blood curdling glare, Lyn with a frown. Inwardly, I groaned. This was going to take a lot of work...

--Lucina POV--
I let my eyes travel to the night sky, smiling in anticipation. Soon, we would march on Askr, where I could finally show my old friends the true power of death.

Nothing would stop us. Mother was undefeatable. And the only thing that posed a threat to us... was long gone. The look on Y/N's face when he finally lost his mind... it was a fond memory. One of the first ones I had made as Hel's daughter. 

I clenched my right hand into a fist, feeling the leather gloves Mother had given me, in order to make it easier to wield my scythe. Anger at Y/N coursed through my veins, as I thought about how he had kept the truth from my prying eyes, denying me the warm embrace of death. 

On the small chance that he was still alive... I would take great pleasure in running him through with my cold silver blade. To see him kneel before me, bleeding out... I grinned, an evil smirk full of bloodlust. The puny, weak so-called "Order of Heroes" stood no chance against death itself. 

It was funny, in a pathetic kind of way. Like watching a fly struggle in a spider's web, knowing fully well the inevitability of its fate, yet still struggling futilely against it until it breathed its very last breath...

------------------

Well, another chapter complete! Really hope you enjoyed it, and sorry for it being so short. I've got a bunch of other projects, and it's hard to multitask.

Anyways, see you next time! 

-Fireemblem8cuts