Chapter 3: When You Know

Hey there guys! Boy. Chapter three, super late. I'm real sorry! A week and a half, one stiff neck, and an ounce of stress have been poured into this chapter. But I'm quite happy with the end result.

I apologize for redundancy and grammar mistakes, it's 12AM over here, and I'll proofread once again tomorrow!

Enjoy!

--Y/N POV--
Suffice to say, my prayers to the gods were still unanswered. Lucina's nightmares were back, and were getting increasingly worse.

--Flashback--
Lucina: Y/N-N!! Y/N!!

I woke up and turned over to find Lucina thrashing around, her face scrunched up in pain.

I grabbed her and held her down, as she slowed and opened her eyes.

Y/N: It was just a dream, Lucina. A harmless dream.

Her face was red, and we were both breathing rapidly.

Lucina: I d-don't like this, Y/N... I'm scared to even close my eyes n-now...

I grabbed her into an embrace and kissed the top of her head.

Y/N: As long as I'm here, no one will hurt you. Okay?

She nodded, as my heart rate finally slowed to a normal pace.

Lucina: I know this is too much to ask of me but... could you hold me as I try to fall asleep?

Y/N: I'd be glad to, Lucy.

I wrapped my arms around her as she rested her head on my chest. Soon, judging by her steady and even breaths, she was asleep. I stayed awake a while longer, watching her while using the back of my pointer finger to caress her cheek.

She didn't deserve this. If anything, she deserved a life of happiness, with no worries. All she had known her whole life was war...

I pulled Lucina closer, letting her head lie in the crook of my neck, before going to sleep.

--Flashback End--
That was yesterday. It had been two weeks since the first nightmare, and I found myself steadily getting more worried. I opened my eyes and sat up, yawning. Wasn't there something I was supposed to remember today? I racked my brain, trying to think...

My eyes widened as it came to me- today was my birthday! Not like it really mattered... birthdays didn't mean that much to me. As a lowly thief living on the streets, I didn't think much of it, and in recent years, we had been too focused on defeating Grima to celebrate anybody's birthdays.

I turned around to find Lucina rubbing her eyes, her fingers uncurling from their usual spot around my arm. I looked at her and frowned. Her eye bags had gotten more distinctive in the last few days, and she was consistently yawning. When she saw my worried look, she smiled and massaged my shoulders.

Lucina: Don't worry Y/N, I feel fine. Just a tiny bit tired.

Y/N: Good... By the way, isn't there something important about today?

A confused look appeared on her face, as she tilted her head sideways.

Lucina: I don't think there is... Yeah, pretty sure there's nothing special today.

I felt a twinge of disappointment. She knew I didn't really care about my birthday... but that didn't stop me from feeling bad when the person I cared for the most in the world forgot it.

Suddenly, she bounded out of bed with a bright look on her face.

Lucina: Well, I must be off! I promised Anna that I'd run some errands.