Chapter 6: Closer

Finally, I got my Lucina chapter out on time (it's the Edelgard chapter that's suffering, so not sure when I can have that out by)! My marathon didn't go so well, and I have my headache and the start of school to thank for that. Just expect chapters to slow down in the next few weeks, because I'm sleeping earlier for school. Anyways, into the chapter!

--Y/N POV--
I squinted through the harsh afternoon sunlight as I made my way deeper into the forest. It had been three weeks since I left the Shepherds' camp. Three weeks of sleeping on hard beds or the cold floor. But finally, I had made it to the forest where the gateway had been sighted.

Anxiety was starting to get to me. Soon, I would know. Had it all been worth it? Or was all of this pain for nothing? The desire to see Lucina again had grown and grown deep inside of me. I wouldn't last without her...

I pushed those dark thoughts away, focusing on what I was doing in the now. It wasn't much farther...

My gaze lighted on a small bluebird sitting on a branch. It was odd, how at my hour of judgment, I focused on the little things. Blue... I deflated as the image of Lucina, cheerful, brushing her hair, came into my head.

A part of me knew that the gateway was there. It had to be.

I'm close. I can feel it.

--Lucina POV--
The moment I heard that voice, I felt a chill, deep inside my bones. It had been three weeks, and it still hadn't gone. If anything, it had increased. People's voices sounded muffled, as if they were underwater, and my eyesight seemed to be failing. What was happening?

Y/N... I n-need you...

???: No... You don't need anyone... except me...

Lucina: Who... Wh-Who are you?

It was strange... I felt a small compelling to listen to the voice... I didn't need anyone. Not even Y/N...

No! I turned over in bed, grasping my hair and pulling it to stay conscious. I couldn't let this... this thing take control of me!

I pounded my head against the wall, trying to shake off the ominous presence in my mind. Y/N... Help me!

I locked the door to my room, burying myself under the covers. My headache got worse and worse as the hours passed. Eventually, I heard a bell ring, signifying lunch. I gulped as my stomach rumbled. I was hungry... but how could I go down there in this state?

After wrestling with my brain for a few minutes, I opened the door and staggered down to the lunch area. I found most of the heroes already there, with Anna and the Askran siblings presiding over the tables.

I had already been out on the battlefield a few times, proving my value to them. The chance that they would let me go? Close to zero.

I still found it funny how Anna had siblings in other worlds... If I didn't know better, I would say that the Anna standing in front of me right now was the same Anna who had given me the ingredients for Y/N's cake a month ago!

A month... Had it been that long already? Feels like it was only yesterday...

I directed my attention back to what Anna was saying, a flash of happiness briefly washing over me as she announced some good news.

Anna: Listen up heroes! The tide against Muspell is beginning to turn! With Surtr gone, the army has no leader! We can't let up now!

The other heroes cheered, spurred on by the energy she was brewing. She really did know how to handle a crowd...

I got a cup of coffee and sat down, a gap between me and the other heroes. Recently, my addiction to the brewed beverage had grown. Some days it was the only thing that kept me going. That and Y/N, of course.