Broken Promises

10 years ago...

"Lauren can you promise me something?" I asked. She smiled at me and nodded. God was she beautiful.

"If in 10 years you still don't have someone, I will marry you." I said and she giggled.

"Sure." She smiled. That smile just really melts my heart.

"Pinky promise? " I held out my pinky.

"Pinky promise." She said finally linking our pinkies together. I smiled and hugged her. I was willing to wait. She was worth it.

***

Present.

"Are you Ms. Y/L/N?" The doctor asked and I quickly nodded wanting to see her already.

"Well Ms. Jauregui is just in her room. She's still quite suicidal and we advise that you and her other friends be there for her." I can't help the tears fall. What happened to her? Well her jerk of a boyfriend happened. I never should have let her date him.

I quickly ran to her room and the sight completely broke my heart. There was Lauren lying down with tear stained cheeks and completely emotionless. She looked at me and looked down again. I sighed as I sat down next to her.

"Lo why? " I asked while wiping away her tears. She just shook her head and hugged me. She kept on crying and what hurt me the most was when she said she wanted to just die. I just kept telling her that she was gonna be okay and I was gonna help her.

2 weeks later...

I was smiling while walking down the hallways. Today was the day I'm gonna keep my promise 10 years ago. She's been doing great lately. She's talking to me and I  even made her laugh. All my efforts for her was worth it just to see her smile. I really love her.

When I finally reached the room, I felt a tear fall. She wasn't there. I looked quickly at her bed and found a note.

'I'm sorry but I just couldn't live anymore. Thank you for being there for me. -Lauren'

I quickly ran up the stairs knowing she's gonna be on the rooftop. At that time I couldn't feel anything anymore. I love her. Just in case,  I called her jerk/boyfriend because after everything I knew she still loved him. I just couldn't get why not me. But I'm gonna change that.

I finally reached the rooftop and shouted her name. She turned around smiling but frowned when she saw me.

" I told you Y/N I couldn't. Please stop. Nobody loves me." She said crying. I cried too. I quickly pulled out the piece of paper that could change everything.

"That's where you're wrong Lauren. I love you. So much. And remember our promise?  That if 10 years passed and you still don't have someone? I will marry you Lauren because I love you. See here's your sign here and we even pinky promised." I showed her the paper and she was just shocked. I even kneeled and told her I love her but then the words that she said killed me.

"It was only a joke Y/N." She said and then everything felt like in slow motion. So this is what it feels like huh?  I was dying inside when she said that. I couldn't feel anything but pain. Numbing pain.

Then I heard a door open and her boyfriend came. She then ran to him and hugged him. She looked so happy. With him. Not with me.

I couldn't anymore. Then the paper and the ring that I was gonna give her just slipped out of my hands. Why? I was there for when she needed me. And I waited. Why not me.

I was in my own world of thoughts when I was unconsciously walking to the ledge of the roof.

What does he have that I don't have?

Those were the last thoughts in my head then everything went black.

The last that I heard was a scream.