Chapter 13.

Waiting outside of my college, I anxiously anticipated his arrival.

I had gotten changed in the restroom and was adorned with the smart clothes he had bought me previously for work, excluding the ankle-twisting heels - they had been replaced with a pair of black flat shoes I had invested in over the weekend. I fidgeted uncomfortably as I tried to calm my nerves. It wasn't working.

Suddenly I saw a familiar figure advancing toward me.

But it wasn't Zach.

His vicious eyes gleamed and a conceited sneer twisted his features as he stalked towards me. I instinctively clasped my bad arm protectively as he slowly approached until he was stood right in front of me. Refusing to meet his spiteful stare, I focused on the ground. Josh loomed over me, his voice quiet but dangerously serious.

"You better not have told anyone anything, Louise." he warned.

I cringed at his patronizing use of my full name and recoiled away from him, but he seized a fistful of my hair and yanked me toward him painfully. Forcing me to look at him by jerking my head back, he narrowed his menacing eyes on mine.

"I'll ruin your pathetic little life if you do, do you understand?" he hissed.

I felt tears bubbling up in my eyes threatening to escape but I managed to keep them at bay. No one around us had even noticed what was going on and when I saw the long blonde curls of Alyssa come into view, I struggled to get out of his grip but it only made his grasp tighten, making my scalp burn.

"I said: do you understand?" he repeated darkly.

"Yes. I understand." I snapped and he released my hair, just as Alyssa spotted us.

Quickly composing myself, I smiled weakly at her as she sauntered over. She frowned between the both of us for a moment, sensing the tension, before grinning at Josh and pulling him into a hug. He chuckled and they kissed, making me watch on in disgust.

"Hi babe." he murmured into her ear.

She blushed, before turning to me.

"I'm guessing you're waiting to go to work then?" she asked with a genuine smile.

Since Saturday we hadn't really spoken, so I was just happy she was actually acknowledging me. Until that creep had to open his mouth.

"That's usually how it works Lyssa, prostitutes wait to go to work on street corners." he sniggered mockingly.

She scowled at him. "Don't call her that."

He shrugged offhandedly. "It's true."

"Lou-" Alyssa started.

"We'd better be going. Have fun at work." Josh interrupted, shooting me a harsh look before he began to walk away. Alyssa looked at me apologetically before following him.

Staring at them as they left, I sighed to myself. I was in complete inner turmoil - If I told anyone then he would hurt her but if I just stayed quiet the situation would only going to get worse. My scalp still stung from his abuse and my arm hurt whenever I put pressure on it. If those were just a result of being aware about his control freak nature then...

Not even two minutes later I saw a sleek black car driving down the road and I tried to make myself look a little bit more presentable. My heart thumped rapidly against my chest as I watched it park against the curb next to me.

The window rolled down.

"Afternoon." Noah greeted me warmly, flashing me a contagious grin that I had to return with one of my own.