Chapter 3.

My heart lodged itself into my throat with apprehension and blood pumped furiously through my ears. All of the air had left my lungs and I could do nothing but open and close my mouth repeatedly like a goldfish. It couldn't be.

"It's Zach." he clarified my suspicion, his resounding voice echoing through the speaker in my phone. "You know, the man who ran you over." he added, a hint of humour in his tone.

"What do you want?" I bit out - I couldn't think of anything else to say and I didn't trust myself to say anymore.

"You still need to pay for the damage of my car." he responded simply.

"Ah." I forgot about that.

The doorbell rang again and my eyes darted to the door.

"Aren't you going to answer that?" he asked abruptly.

"Uh, yeah. Give me a minute." I replied nervously, putting the phone down and quickly rushing to the door.

It swung open to reveal a very annoyed Alyssa, whose index finger was hovering in the air mere millimetres away from the doorbell.

"Hi." I greeted her sheepishly. She raised an eyebrow.

"What were you doing in here? Writing an autobiography?" she joked as she stormed inside. "Or have you got a hidden lover I haven't been informed about?" I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, do come in, won't you?" I told her sarcastically, closing the door after her.

"I was thinking, maybe we could go to McDonalds and stuff our faces, you in?" she smiled as she bent down to pet Jinx, who was sat at her feet happily letting her scratch behind his ears.

"Yeah I'm just going to get my jacke-" I began, but suddenly remembered Zach was still waiting on the phone. I cursed and hurried over to the phone.

"Sorry!" I apologised down the phone.

"Look, you need to pay for the damage." he affirmed sternly, his baritone voice making my knees liquefy. Seriously, something was wrong with me.

"I know, but I don't have the money." I told him honestly - it was true, my Mum and I really didn't have much and what we did have went on food as well as other bare necessities...and cat food.

"That's not a problem anymore." he stated, "We already agreed once you had recovered you would work for my company until you had paid the compensation you owe me. I called to tell you work starts tomorrow so you better be ready for work as soon as you get home from college."

"What?!" I yelled.

"I'm sorry, do you have a problem?" he asked mockingly and I could hear the smirk in his tone.

"Yes! You're enforcing child labour!" I shouted accusingly.

Alyssa gave me a strange look and mouthed, "I'll wait in there." before spinning on her heel and walking into the living room.

"Stop being melodramatic - you'd be my personal assistant, the most labour you'd go through would be making me a coffee." he told me in a bored tone.

I was quiet for a moment as I tapped my foot anxiously.

"Fine." I muttered into the phone, knowing I'd regret it.

"Good. See you tomorrow then, kiddo." he sniggered.

"Stop calling me tha-" I began angrily but the line had already went dead. "Prick." I cussed, slamming the phone down.

When I walked into the living room I spotted Lou sat watching Jeremy Kyle with Jinx curled up on her lap. She must have heard me enter the room because she turned her attention away from the TV and looked at me with a questionable expression.