Chapter 1.

© All Rights Reserved.

Work For Me

Rain gushed over me as I sped down the streets after spending all day in Newcastle with my best friend Alyssa. I held my leather jacket over my head, trying to avoid getting soaked. Cars rushed past through puddles pooling near the curb, spraying us with a wall of water. I groaned. My drenched hair was sticking to my face and had clung together in a matted mess. At least my military style boots were keeping my feet dry. I was glad I chose to wear them that day - frankly, I don't think my Converse would have managed to shield me from the unrelenting English weather.

             "I hate rain!" I complained as we took another turn.

"You say that every time it rains! I get it! You hate rain!" Alyssa retorted.

Well that was easy for her to say; her hair doesn't go all mangled and horrible when it gets wet. Alyssa had been my best friend for years and she was... well, really pretty - even with her tomboy ways.

Actually, scratch that, she was beautiful. Her deep royal blue eyes were framed with long thick eyelashes and she had golden blonde curls that always fell down her back with random braids in it to give it a punk edge and she was quite tall. She wasn't exactly fond of make up so she didn't wear any, which made me even more jealous because her complexion was absolutely flawless, apart from a few freckles.

She was practically the exact opposite of my slightly smaller than average height, brunette haired and murky green eyed appearance and obviously, a lot prettier.

             "That's just because I hate it so much." I muttered.

"Stop complaining and cross the bloody road, will you?" She ordered as she rolled her eyes at me.

"Fine." I huffed, leading the way as I stepped out on to the road.

Like it appeared out of thin air, a sleek black car was driving towards me before I could react. Pain suddenly shot through my right leg as the front car crashed into me. All I could see was blurring light as my legs were taken out from under me, making me feel weightless for a moment before my back collided with a hard solid surface. I heard the screeching of car wheels and moaned in agony.

This is it. I was going to die.

What had I done to deserve such a short life?

I didn't want to die!

Why didn't I look and see the stupid car coming? It's not like I hadn't got enough lectures off my Mum about road safety. I only had myself to blame.

"Shit." Someone cursed before the shock took its toll on my body and I passed out.

* * *

I woke up reluctantly.

My head was throbbing and my whole body ached. When I eventually gave in and opened my eyes, they immediately stung from the harsh light that flooded the room. I let them adjust for a moment before realising I was in a bland, hospital room and that my Mum had fallen asleep in a chair next to my bed. I scanned my body, checking for any serious damage - thankfully it just seemed to be minor injuries, just a few cuts here and there. I felt a slight twinge in my stomach so I lifted my hospital gown to reveal an ugly black and blue bruise along my abdomen.