Chapter 16.

Tension filled the air and I could feel his blistering gaze on me. I let my arms fall to my sides then exhaled slowly. His facial expression was set into a serious expression and I knew immediately that he was not going to let this go. I had to try.

“Please. Just leave, will you?” I muttered.

In an instant Zach yet again invaded my personal space, his face centimetres away from mine. His dark chestnut eyes were beset with angst as he reached up to stroke my cheek. I automatically looked at his lips, admiring how full and soft they were, then mentally hitting myself for being such a traitor when I was trying to get rid of him.

“I’m not leaving until you explain what is wrong.” he responded stubbornly.

“What is wrong is that you’re still in my house!” I quipped.

“How did you hurt your arm?” he questioned, completely ignoring every word I had just said. I may as well have been a mime.

“I haven’t!”

“Don’t lie to me.”

“I haven’t hurt my ar-” I began, but shrieked as he snatched my hand, pulling my arm firmly but gently forwards before he pushed up my sleeve and unveiled the hideous bruise that now smothered most of my wrist.

It had changed since I had last seen it. Now it was a sickening colour of yellow, black and purple. Marks showed clearly where Josh had crushed his hand down on my arm and I cringed as I stared at it, reliving the bitter memory. It was disgusting; a vile reminder of the threats Josh had gave me and the abuse he had subjected me to.

Zach was stunned. His dark eyes were set directly on the bruise. He hadn’t even looked at me yet. Holding my arm, he traced the outline with his fingertips dejectedly. I could feel his body practically shaking with unspoken rage. He still held my wrist but his grip had loosened so much I could have removed it. But I didn’t.

We were in silence for a moment until he finally spoke.

“Who did this to you?” he asked quietly, his voice barely above a whisper.

I couldn’t tell him.

It would cause too much trouble.

The sickening blue eyes, his ghostly pale skin and cracked lips of that creep haunted my mind making me visibly shudder. If I said anything, Alyssa would end up being hurt too. I wouldn’t take the risk.

“It’s none of your business. Now leave me alone.” I refused bitterly.

I ripped my arm from his grasp and pulled my cardigan down to hide it. This did not go well with Zach. Instantly, the cool demeanour disappeared and he snapped.

Who did this to you?” he boomed ferociously making me jump, his eyes flashing menacingly.

Recoiling from his intimidating frame, I backed up until I was at least a metre away from him. His eyes softened. He took a deep breath before letting it out slowly as he stepped towards me carefully, like I was a small animal that was going to bolt at any moment if he moved any faster. When he finally reached me, he lifted his hands and held my face.

“Trust me.” he murmured as he leaned in, his tantalizing lips hovering over mine.

Trust him?

I moved my face abruptly, making him retract his hands.

“Maybe you should have thought about that earlier. I’m sure you have all of the trust you need from Scarlett.” I hissed indignantly.

His eyes darkened to the point where they were pitch black.

“That’s what you think?” he queried lowly.

I opened my mouth to speak, but suddenly the front door sounded and my mum came bumbling through with a two carrier bags rustling in her hands.

“I’m so sorry I took so long! I was in the shop just grabbing the teabags when I remembered all of the other things we needed!” she laughed, oblivious to the friction between us. “Would you like a cup of tea, Mr-Zach?”

Again, he placed a calm mask across his features and smiled as he shook his head.

“I would love to but I was just telling Louise I have a lot of work to do tonight. Perhaps another time.” he replied, the excuse rolling off his tongue smoothly that even I almost believed him.

“I see. Well I wouldn’t want to keep you from your work.” she smiled. “You’re welcome to come around anytime.”

He nodded. "I'll keep that in mind. Louise, I'll pick you up from college at normal time tomorrow. I should get going, I'll see you later." he explained, glancing in my direction briefly before striding out.

I was stood for a few moments until I heard my mum behind me.

"Are you going to help me with these or not?" she laughed, gesturing to her bags.

"Oh right, yeah." I mumbled, grabbing one out of her hands.

Two hours, forty seven minutes, one reheated lasagne and a hot bath later. I still couldn't sleep. I lay face down burrowed in my sheets as Jinx purred happily beside my head on the pillow. Every time I closed my eyes I remembered his rich cocoa eyes, the scent of his strong aftershave, the taste of his warm citrus mint lips melding over mine, his rippling muscles under my hands-

I groaned.

Why did he have to pop into my head?

For all I knew he was doing the exact same thing but thinking about Scarlett.

That hurt like a physical blow to the stomach. I cursed under my breath - I always over thought things to the point where I couldn't sleep. I still remembered Noah's blood covered face. He didn't deserve Zach to do that.

But he did provoke him.

I frowned to myself and shook the thought from my mind. I would not justify his actions. Violence was not the answer. Noah was lovely, he didn't need to punch him.

"Do you want him?"

I wasn't sure. I liked Noah but...

He's also twenty five.

I forgot about that. Rolling over, I sighed. This was going to be a very long night.

College was frustrating. I was set various assignments that just added to my stress. I would just have to do them on weekends. Alyssa was still loved up with that creep and I lost count of how many times I had to bite my tongue to stop me from saying anything.

"He was so sweet yesterday!" she gushed in the middle of our English Literature class.

I forced myself not to roll my eyes as I glanced toward my completely unaware best friend. Sometimes I felt like snapping at her, but then I remembered she had no idea what her so called sweet boyfriend was capable of.

As soon as my last class ended, I scooped up my bag and practically ran from the room. I just had to escape the never ending conversations of Josh is so nice this and Josh is so great that. Slamming myself into a cubicle, I hastily got into my work clothes and tied my hair up into a convenient messy bun.

This was not my day.

Thankfully, I was only waiting outside of the college for a few minutes when I saw the familiar car park against the curb. Eager to get away before I saw Josh, I quickly popped the door open, scouting the area as I did so. Then I caught sight of the scrawny creep walking towards Alyssa. His murky eyes suddenly snapped on to mine and dread slithered over me.

I quickly shook it off and climbed in. When I slid into my seat, I was met by the overwhelming presence of Zach’s expensive aftershave and it was strangely comforting. Fastening myself in, I clipped the seatbelt into place then risked a glance at Zach - but he was no where to be seen.

This was the second time he had duped me. Instead, a womanly figure sat in his place, her perfectly manicured hands on the steering wheel.

Scarlett beamed at me with her flawlessly white teeth. “Good morning.”

____________________________________________________

Thanks to xHannahReggiesx for the banner!

I didn’t really like this either, but I hope you did. (:
If you feel like being nice, I love comments! They’re amazing!
And of course, if you’re feeling very very very generous, voting is much appreciated!
Thanks for reading!

Sweets xxx