Irony

Using precaution, they travel from one location to another for various reasons. One being to shorten the distance to the Kingdom of Debi, and residing near the Kingdom of Geoisie. The other which works, in theory, prevents suspicion from those sought to find you.

Minutes before they leave their location, the orders for step two of the plan commence. A blockage is created, cutting off shipments and reinforcements from entering the kingdom, and canceling electronic communications.

It's only a matter of time before Darius realizes opposing forces encroaching on his territory, in which then he will alert his guards around the Kingdom. He will then dispatch the orders to attack the infiltrated forces, finding the earpiece each of his soldiers are wearing sending nothing but static. His next attempt would be to use his telepathic abilities between him and the purebloods and find the signal broken. Some guards are aware of the bombarding soldiers surrounding them but they are easily overpowered. Some of Ezekiel and Frederick's comrades become acquainted with death.

During these moments of chaos for Darius, Ezekiel and the others scurry to their new location. Zeke grips Alice, in their travel, fearing she would slip away in times of uncertainty. He too was frightened by the thought of losing her.  Fear, a silly emotion yet holds such daunting power over us. We fear the unknown. The outcome of phase 3 is still unknown.

When they arrive, guards report to their designated position, securing the parameter of their new location. A small house, with 1 bedroom, bathroom, and the main room where Ezekiel asserts his authority.

Darius is locked within the barrier of his own kingdom and weakened. His warriors and citizens falling, some innocent but all tainted by him.

Minutes pass and the creases on Thomas' face deepen.

"Speak," Ezekiel orders, noticing the unsettling feeling that is seeping from Thomas.

"I haven't received Ms. Hemings signal," he speaks, attempting to keep his voice steady.

"How late is she?" Frederick asks, glancing from Thomas to Ezekiel.

"37 minutes. We have an hour grace period. Once 60 minutes pass, we are to assume she has been caught."

"How reliable is she?" Ezekiel asks Frederick.

"Very, always sends the signals on time."

"Think Darius found out?" The nervous guard asks.

"Unlikely, Thomas, she's been working for us for over 10 years," Frederick glances at Ezekiel.

"That's too long," he says, looking back at Frederick. Ezekiel sits back in his chair, glancing at the bedroom door that separated him from Alice. He lowers his voice, "he is aware of your accomplice."

"How? We were secretive, never followed any pattern, nor contacted her. It was always her. She always knew when or what we needed to." Frederick explains, his voice laced with worry.

"My father was keen on telling Darius and I valuable lessons in life. The irony of this situation is very upsetting. When one holds as much power and authority as king, trust no one until they prove otherwise. A common practice that many have used over the centuries. Except Darius trusts no one. He doubts all those who walk. He lives by this, it's his sermon."

"I know, I remember your father well, but Ms. Hemings is careful."

"Trust no one, until proven otherwise," Ezekiel repeats, starring at the chipped wooden table his hand rests on. "Blindly trust those near only leads to one's demise."

"You can trust us," Frederick looks to Ezekiel, then to the guards in the room. "I've been with you-"

"I trusted you once," Ezekiel interrupts Frederick, the stress of the situation consuming him.

"Don't you dare blame me for her death," he stands, hurt by the shameful look in his brother's eyes.

"I do not. I only blame myself and faulty actions to protect her." Ezekiel refuses to raise his voice. He can hear the thump, the steady beat of her heart. He focuses on it. On the breath traveling in and out of her lungs. She's still alive. She will live, she has to.

"Rebellious citizens make flaws in their attempts to fight back. As years pass, those who seek a change dwindle. They do suspicious acts, a secret meeting spot, letters, or overheard conversations. To have the trust of a kingdom as large as Debi, it's easier to have those who are brainwashed report faulty actions.

Ms. Hemings may have been smart, kept her head down, lips sealed but ears always open. It works, but with a persona that clean..." he trails off for a second. "She was too good. Darius has to have her."

"There are 8 minutes left," Thomas mutters.

And those seconds pass, fear becoming present. They fear these unknown minutes, yet they already know. They know she was found, they know she is unable to help them and her life is at risk. But when those 8 minutes finally tick, they do not fear whether she was taken or not, they now fear what's to happen next.

"Prepare," is all Ezekiel says as he stands from his chair and pads his way to the small room that is hiding away his mate.

"Darius can find us. Strengthen our defensives and call for backup," Frederick orders to those few guards in the room.

Ms. Hemings was the help. She was the ace up their sleeve. She was supposed to assist in the killing of Darius and now she is probably dead.

Trust was built between her and Ezekiel's comrades, but now it has been broken.

She was the fine line that traces Darius to them. A precautionary play was fabricated. Let's just hope Ms. Hemings was able to proceed with it.