23 Days After, pt 2

"Good afternoon, Alice."

"You always know where to find me," I smile up at Lennox. A sudden wave of comfort weighs over me, like a blanket, but it's not suffocating me from the inside.

"I have a knack for direction," he smirks as if telling a joke only he understood. I am back in this old town, seeing people walk about, some with baskets in hand filled with produce, others just mindlessly pondering through town.

"So you do," I smile and look towards the ground, then back up at him. My words and actions are not my own, just like before.

"I would like to take you somewhere," he says as we start to walk again.

"And where do you have in mind," I say, with little control over my words.

"I would like to keep it a surprise if you don't mind."

"A surprise! Well then, I suppose so."

"This evening I would be honored if you came over for dinner."

"And then the surprise," I smile.

"Yes, after dinner."

"I suppose I could fit it into my evening.'

"Oh if you suppose," he nudges me with his elbow, "Perfect, I shall be over the late afternoon to gather you."

"I shall see you then."

Painful pounding invades my head as the lights turn bright, way too quickly. Dizziness consumes me as I feel transported. And when my vision clears, the sight I hope to see in front of me isn't there. Instead, I'm still in this ancient place.

And there's a knock at the door.

The man who appears to be my father opens it and Lennox stands on the other side.

"Good evening, sir," he says. I walk up to the door and stand beside my father, greeting him with a smile.

"You must be Lennox," my father's voice filled with curiosity.

"Yes, sir," he looks to me, "Alice, you look lovely." The blush sweeps across my face and I turn my gaze towards the ground.

"Well, we best be going, I'll see you tonight, father," I kiss him on the cheek and we exit my home.

He helps me up and onto his horse, "traveling by foot would take far too long," he says and climbs on as well.

"Where do you live?" I ask as we start moving.

"Out of town, do not worry, Alice."

"I do not."

We arrive at a small cottage. Right when I walk through the door, I am filled with the delicious smells of the food he has prepared.

He pulls out my chair for me and I sit down. We start eating and the conversation easily flows between us.

"Have you lived here your entire life?" He asks.

"Yes but my father is set on moving, says this place isn't safe any longer, even though it would cause much more struggle to move."

"Why does he want to leave?"

"Well, I was injured a few months back, and this town has brought us nothing but bad luck. Good thing my father is all talk anyway."

"Do you want to leave?"