19 Days After, pt 2

Alice POV

"What'd you get for 4?" Adam asks and leans up closer to me, looking at my worksheet. I show him my paper, but can't help but feel his lingering body pressed up against mine.

We're hanging out in Adams basement, all of us, late Thursday night. Abby is on her laptop, looking at the video we all took on my birthday, Jacob, May, Adam and I are all finishing up our homework.

Adam stays close to me, and for some reason I let him. I look up from my paper and see May eying Adam and me, and it's then that I shift away from him.

We're friends, nothing more, nor less.

"Ugh, there is so much wasted footage. I left the camera on after we fell asleep," Abby groans.

"Maybe we'll hear Jacob snoring," May chuckles.

"Or you'll remember walking upstairs," Adam says to me.

"huh?" I look at him, a little uncomfortable in our close proximity.

"You don't remember going upstairs that night, maybe the video will trigger your memory," he shrugs.

I don't know why, but the mention of that night, after we fell asleep, just doesn't sit well in me. I feel agitated for some reason.

I grab my folder off my lap and move to sit next to Abby. She's watching the video, but it's just of us sleeping.

"Shhh, guys listen," Abby, turns the volume up all the way on her laptop and angles the speaker towards us. I hear the soft sniffle of someone sleeping and I immediately know its Jacob.

"Thank god for the vodka that night, slept straight through your snoring," Adam says at Jacob.

"Sor-ry I have sinus problems," Jacob says jokingly.

"Ahhhh J, we're just messing with you," May gives him a goofy hug, being way too dramatic about it.

"Oh my god," the computer was back on Abby's lap. I look to see what she was commenting on, but my heart drops as I see myself, thrashing in my sleep. "Do you remember having a nightmare," she asks me, with concern written all over her face.

"What do you mean?" Adam is the first to jump up and sits next to me, looking at the computer. "Alice, what happened?"

May sits next to Abby, and Jacob stands behind the couch, looking over at the computer.

I was struggling, throwing the blanket off of me, kicking my legs, just trying to do something other than peacefully sleeping. Trying to save someone. And I failed to do so.

All of a sudden I stop moving, my body goes still and I stand up from my spot on the floor. And I walk out of the frame, unable to be seen.

"What were you dreaming about?" Adam asks, placing his hand on my arm in a way to comfort me.

Ezekiel.

"I don't remember," I lie, as images of the chaos, the screams, and the blood invade my mind.

For some reason, we all just continue to watch the video play out, at a quicker speed of course, and we see our sleeping bodies toss and turn as they sleep, excluding me.

"Wa-wait, go back," May says with worry in her voice.

"Why?" Adam says as Jacob says, "I think I saw something too."

Abby goes back a minute, this time letting the video play out at normal speed.

"You guys are just making stuff up," I could practically see Adam roll his eyes, without having to look at him.