2-The Shuttle

Tuesday Morning

Gwen

Gwen wiped the fogged mirror with her hand after getting out of the shower. She stared at her reflection and pointed to herself. "You better beat this! You have three kids in their beds that need you!" She briefly turned away before turning back. "I mean it!"

"Ah, those three kids are awake." Chastity spoke from the other side of the bathroom door. "Mom?"

Gwen smiled at her reflection. "Busted!" She opened the door to her onrushing kids.

"We just wanted to let you know we have your back, Mom. We believe in you!" The eldest, Chastity held her arms around her siblings. "You've got this!"

"No, I don't." Gwen surprised her kids. "We've got this! Now go get ready, uncle Bobby and aunt Liza are picking you guys up in a half-hour. Go go go!" Gwen's brother, Bobby is her only living relative and the only reliable man in her and the kids' life. Liza supported Bobby's decision to return to the small town after their parents passed away to be close to his family.

The three enveloped their mother before leaving the washroom. Gwen smiled as she watched her children rush off. "Hmmph, they've never been this well behaved!" She found a small laugh before closing the door.

Jeremy

Jeremy watched the sun peek over the horizon from his back porch. His backyard looked great; the trees were pruned, the flowers beginning to open and the grass had been freshly cut the day before. A sip from his coffee produced a smile as the aroma wafted into his nose.

His cellphone buzzed. Pete just sent a text.

Boss, are you awake?

Jeremy rolled his eyes before angrily typing his response. I told you, don't call me boss. Moron.

Pete pushed back. You call me a moron after I worked the first weekend this century?

Jeremy laughed as he explained the way he saw it. Pumpkin, we've been over this...calling people to get them to work for you next week is technically not work.

The texts stopped.

Jeremy looked up to see Pete standing between him and the sunrise.

"I knew you'd be outside already." Pete looked proud knowing he was right. "Well?"

"Congratulations, Pumpkin."

"No, aren't you gonna offer me some morning joe?"

With the sharp sarcasm someone who never knew better would never believe these two were best friends. "Take your sorry ass in the house and get it! You're blocking a perfectly good sunrise. Moron." Jeremy shifted his body as Pete walked past.

Pete returned to the back deck slurping on his coffee like a three year old from a sippy cup "Hey Boss, I mean, Jer-e-my, where's Charlie?"

"Really?" The sound annoyed Jeremy. "You couldn't use a travel mug?"

Pete scoffed at his friend then slurped again. "Buddy, I asked you about Charlie. Stands about knee-high, eats frisbees for an afternoon snack. Usually stuck to your ass like a fridge magnet."

"She's on my bed." He looked up to Pete. "She knows something's up."

"Yeah, well, something is up, Boss."

"Pumpkin, call me boss again and I will not only fire your ass I will kick it."

"Stop calling me, Pumpkin!"