8-Serendipity

Day Two - The Clinic

Gwen

Gwen navigated the first day at the clinic successfully. Her spirits were high this morning. She made herself presentable and headed out of her room for breakfast.

"Hey, Gwen!" Patricia caught up with the newest patient in the clinic. "I have some good news for you!"

Gwen's eyes lightened up. "Don't keep me in suspense!"

"Well, Dr. Fraser has a few tests this morning."

"Oh, woohoo." Gwen sarcastically replied not knowing Patricia had not given all the good news yet.

Patricia laughed. "You realize I did say good news?" She stopped Gwen in the middle of the hallway. "I called the shuttle and you should be home for dinner tonight."

Gwen hugged Patricia and her smile grew. "Well, why didn't you say that?"

"Ah, I just did!" The head nurse gave the sarcasm right back to the patient as they enjoyed a laugh while heading to breakfast together.

The morning went by quickly for Gwen and true to her word, Patricia had called Clint to pick her up.

"Now you have everything?" Patricia went over the list of medications and when they needed to be taken. "Okay?"

Gwen nodded. "I'm good, thanks, Patricia." She pointed to her nurse. "You look a little tired." The two women headed to the front lobby.

The nurse looked at her watch. "It's almost time for my weekend."

Gwen frowned. "It's Wednesday!"

Patricia nodded. "Exactly! This week I have Thursday and Friday off then I am back here for Saturday morning."

"But you're the head nurse!" Gwen didn't understand.

"It is very important for me to be here. I like working the weekend and being here for the ones who can not go home." Patricia smiled. "There may be a time when you need to be here for an extended stay and I will be here with you, Gwen."

Gwen pulled Patricia in for a hug before they walked the hallway leading to the lobby. Clint stood at the reception desk talking with the secretary and a volunteer.

"Oh, here she is. See you later." Clint excused himself from the conversation.

Gwen noticed her driver. "Clint! Am I happy to see you!"

Patricia jokingly laughed. "Hey, I'm right here!"

"Well, Clint is taking me home to see my babies!" Gwen spoke excitedly.

"I was kidding! Go!" The head nurse offered a smile.

Clint grabbed Gwen's bag from Patricia and they were gone. A few hours later and they were parked in her driveway in front of her home.

"I don't get it. I called Bobby and told him to expect me for supper." Gwen frowned as she watched Clint get out of the van. "You don't have to open the door for me, Clint."

"Yeah, I do. This is the shuttle, not a taxi, Gwen." He smiled as he held his hand out.

Gwen took his hand and stepped out onto her driveway looking around.

"Would you like me to carry your bag to the house?" The volunteer asked.

"Are you kidding, Clint? No!" Gwen smiled, you have brought me home, that means everything to me. By the way, where is Audrey? I was so excited to come home I didn't even notice she wasn't in the front seat."