12-Like You're Never Coming Back

Jeremy had a nurse call Gwen but every attempt went to her voicemail. Damn, where is she? Why do I care so much? Idiot, you like her and you won't admit it.

"Anyone else you can contact?" The nurse questioned the frustrated patient who just wanted to get out of the one place he hated.

"Yeah, but I'd rather not." Jeremy would rather walk than ride in a vehicle with Pumpkin.

A voice rang out from down the hallway. "Jeremy!"

"Francis." Jeremy smiled. "Tell me you're here to get me outta here!"

"I just came by for a visit." Dr. Capella explained. "I dropped Lynn at the cottage." He took a closer look at his facial bruising. "Hmmm."

"Relax Francis, I am fine."

"So you're a practicing physician after your medically induced coma?" Francis scoffed. "That'd be a first!" The doctor directed Jeremy to sit in the wheelchair he pulled out from the nurse's station. "Sit." His friend frowned but he persisted. "Jeremy?"

"Of all the people...." The cranky patient held his tongue.

"What was that?" Francis sarcastically continued. "You really want to stay another couple of days?"

"Francis, that is not funny. You know me and hospitals? We just don't do well together." Jeremy sighed deeply.

Dr. Capella lowered his voice but spoke with an authoritative tone. "Damn it, Jeremy. You had a goddamn concussion, you have bruised ribs. You damn near died and you can't stay any longer?"

Jeremy pointed at his friend. "Won't stay."

"Geezus! Won't stay." Francis changed the topic from health to legal action. "Your truck looks like it went through the spin cycle and the other driver wants to sue your ass!"

"Sue me?" He raised his voice even louder. "Sue me?"

"Relax, what are they going to do? Throw you in prison?" Dr. Capella chuckled.

Jeremy frowned and stood. "Not funny, Francis." He headed for the elevator.

"Where the hell are you going now?" Francis turned to the nurse. "Get someone to help me."

"Don't bother, Francis." He turned to face his friend and physician. "I need to go."

"You could have a seizure or a stroke and..." Francis knew changing Jeremy's mind would be next to impossible and he couldn't scare a dying man but he had to at least try. "...possibly die."

"WOW Francis, you just didn't say that, did you?" Jeremy walked back to his friend and held his hand out to thank him. "Thanks. You know for being there for me."

The doctor frowned at Jeremy. "What the hell are you going to do, eh? Just accept the treatments. Who knows? You may actually beat it?"

"Beat aggressive, late-stage lung cancer?" Jeremy smugly looked at his friend. "Tell me you just didn't say what I just heard."

"Then what? What the hell are you going to do?" Francis did not understand people who did not believe in modern medicine.

"First, get out of here." Jeremy heard the elevator arrive at the floor.

Officer Stanley

"Mr. Fartham?"

"Now what?" Jeremy looked at the nurse. "You called the police?" She shrugged. "Geezus! And people wonder why I hate hospitals?"

"Mr. Fartham, I need you to come with me." The huge provincial police officer towered over Jeremy.

The patient smiled and agreed. "Gladly officer. Handcuffs this morning or a simple escort to the cruiser?" Jeremy nodded to his friend then turned and walked to the elevator with the officer.

They stepped into the elevator and headed to the main floor. "That was quite the accident last week."

"Oh, you heard?"

"Heard?" The officer corrected him. "I was first on the scene. "You looked dead when I got to you while Buddy in the other truck had a broken nose and he crapped his pants."

"Idiot!"

"His statement says you crossed the centerline and started the whole fiasco." He looked at Jeremy and figured he disagreed. "You say differently?"

"All I could see were headlights in my lane. I hammered my horn until the last second before cutting hard left or we'd both be six feet under." Jeremy shook his head. "Moron."

"You lost a vintage truck."

"It was my father's from new. He taught me how to drive then gave it to me. The only truck I have ever driven up until now." Jeremy took a deep breath then forced it out through pursed lips.

"Gonna be okay?"

"For a few months." Jeremy gave the officer a chagrined look.

"What does that mean?" The officer asked as they stepped out of the elevator.

"Aggressive cancer is the label the doctors gave it. No official name. No proven treatment." Jeremy shrugged. "I had a good run and I am sure as hell am not going to cry over it."

"I'd be a blubbering fool." The officer admitted.

Jeremy laughed. "No, you wouldn't!"

"No word of a lie, scouts honor!" The officer raised his hand as a pledge of truth.

Jeremy laughed again. "You're a police officer!"

"Former scout leader, Grey County 1988!" The proud officer smiled as he stood at attention.

"No kidding?" Jeremy gave the officer a judging glance.

"Sir, I would never kid about being a scout!" The officer eased his stance.

Jeremy wondered why they were hanging out in the emergency department waiting room. "Well, are we heading to the station? Or are we gonna chill with the sick people?"

"I have all the information I need for my report. So, I guess we are just chilling with the sick people." The officer tilted his head towards the exit. "Follow me."

The two men walked through the automatic doors. "Good luck with your...Well..."

"Death sentence?" Jeremy tried to finish the officer's line.

"Let's just call it a journey. My name is Stanley." He held his hand out for Jeremy. "Just curious...how are you spending your remaining time here on earth?"

"Well, Stanley." Something popped into Jeremy's head. "Sell everything! See the world. Maybe just float away from some tropical island."

"Hmmm, you may be forgetting about the loving woman by your side."

"There is no loving woman, Stanley." Jeremy paused. "Well..."

Stanley saw a smile beginning to grow on Jeremy's face. "Ha, ha? I knew you wouldn't be alone! Look man, I have to get going but I have a piece of advice from one man to a man with limited time man."

"This I need to hear, Stanley." Jeremy's interests were piqued.

"As a cop, I know every time I go out on duty it could be my last shift. I know this. So, I kiss my wife and tell her I love her." Stanley nodded at Jeremy. "Find that woman you are thinking about. Kiss her like you are never coming back." He smiled. "You're welcome."

Jeremy laughed. "Thanks, Stanley!"

"See ya!" And just like that Stanley walked away.