32-I Don't Believe It

"Where are you headed at this time in the morning, son?" The older man made a friendly inquiry to his passenger.

Jeremy pointed at the road ahead of them. "North."

The man laughed. "I will be heading north for a spell." He looked at Jeremy. "Escaping Hurricane Gracie?"

He nodded to the older man. "Yeah."

"You don't have a lot to say, do ya?" Then he introduced himself. "My name is Carl William Smith but most people just call me, Cappy."

Jeremy finally took his eyes off the road. "Cappy, I am Jeremy Fartham." He shrugged. "Just call me, Jeremy."

"Well Jeremy, looks like Gracie is gonna chase us all the way home." Cappy looked out at his mirror. "You understand when I let you out you will no longer be dry?"

"Yes sir, I understand." Jeremy nodded. "Where is home for you, Cappy?"

Carl laughed. "It is so small it's not on any map! My closest neighbor is five miles away."

"Sounds like a great place, Cappy!" Jeremy smiled.

"You are welcome to come by and take a look." Carl then extended his offer. "Then I will drive you back out to 35 North."

"I don't have any time to spare Cappy." Jeremy shrugged. "The woman I love is waiting for me."

"Well, that is special." Carl smiled. "How far away is this love of your life?"

Jeremy raised an eyebrow. "2,500 miles, give or take."

"And you want to get home when?" Carl questioned his passenger.

"As soon as possible." Jeremy looked at the older man.

"You have a challenge ahead of yourself, son!" Carl looked in the mirror again. "That hurricane will be a problem for the next few days."

"Crap!" Jeremy looked out his window.

"I'll tell you what. Come to my place and I will show you another option." Carl waited for Jeremy to answer. "What do you say?"

Jeremy looked back at Carl. "Okay, let's check it out."

Carl turn off the interstate highway and before they knew it the truck headed down a gravel road. He slowed his truck and Jeremy looked up to the sign above the laneway. CAPPY'S ACES - Flying Lessons.

"I should have guessed. Cappy." Jeremy half chuckled. "Captain?"

"Served in Vietnam. Came home and got myself a piece of land." He smiled. "I crop dusted for years before becoming a flight instructor. Then I, what do they call it? Diversified." Cappy laughed.

"So, this is the option? Jeremy looked at Carl.

"Uh-huh." The pilot smiled. "Now where do you have to go?"

"Canada." Jeremy spoke without looking at Carl.

"Canada? You are a long way from the woman you love!" Carl laughed.

"You can drive me back to the highway now, Cappy." Jeremy nodded.

"You want to get home? I can get you there." Cappy nodded.

"You want to fly me to Canada in a crop duster?" Jeremy shook his head as Carl drove past the older planes and pulled up next to his hanger.

"Come on." Carl looked back at Jeremy frowning. "Come on, son!" The man urged him out of his truck.

Carl waited for Jeremy to exit the truck. "I guess that's far enough." The pilot pressed a button and the hanger door opened to a Gulfstream 450 private jet. "It's not not the best but it can fly anywhere in North America."