30-The Connection

Jeremy slowly turned towards the cruiser. He couldn't run even if he had wanted to with his energy almost completely drained from his body. The passenger window opened and the State Trooper spoke with a thick Texan accent. "Well hey there partner, you are going the wrong way!"

Jeremy pointed south. "That is Laredo, isn't it?"

The trooper laughed. "It is, but Gracie is bearing down on us like a defensive lineman on our quarterback." He laughed at Jeremy. "Boy, you look like a drowned rat!"

Jeremy gave a wry smile then nodded as he agreed. "I guess I do. But my friends are there."

"Can't you see all these vehicles headed north? This is not a game, son." The trooper was not about to let someone walk into the oncoming category three hurricane. "Get in the truck, son."

Jeremy looked back at Shannon's car to see another car pull in behind her. He accepted the trooper's invitation. "It's nice of you to offer." He looked to his left into the face of a German shepherd.

"Oh, I forgot about Shep." The trooper laughed as he looked in the rearview mirror. "He's my K-9 partner. You like dogs?"

"I love dogs, Sir." Jeremy actually cracked a smile. "I have one of my own. A collie. She's one smart dog."

"Drop the sir. My name's, Archie after my daddy." The trooper drove as he spoke. "If Shep likes you, I won't disagree with him. What do you think, Shep?" He looked into the rearview mirror.

Shep rolled a yelp then barked twice. Jeremy understood. "Nice to meet you too, Shep." He smiled as the K-9 licked his face.

"Either you're feeding him treats or he is in love with you." The State trooper laughed from his belly. "Seriously ~ no treats while he's on duty." He laughed again.

The stress of the hurricane seemed to vanish from the trooper with his passenger in the truck with him. Evacuating the small city of Laredo took every law enforcement officer available to pull off. "I should contact my friends maybe they are evacuating too."

"Fine idea son, cause you can't go in there." Archie agreed.

Jeremy texted Pete.
Where are you, Pumpkin?

Pete looked around for a landmark then returned a text. We just passed Crossroads on I-35 north.

Jeremy asked the trooper where they were. "My friends are headed out of the city, Archie. They passed Crossroads. Not sure where that is."

"Heck that is just a couple miles up the road. Tell them to pull over. I'll deliver you to them." The trooper nodded his head.

Jeremy sent a text to Pete and Miguel pulled over. "They pulled over, we should see them pretty soon."

Through the rain the trooper spied the battered old truck. His face showed pity. "Well, I'll be! That poor old truck looks like it went through the wash cycle."

Jeremy looked past Shep to see the same sad sight. "What the hell happened to that truck?" He witnessed Miggy's face had little joy.

"I would say your friends were caught in the hail storm. Boy what a sorry sight!" Archie winced. "Well, this is where we part ways, son." Archie had a grin on his face. "Stay safe."

"See ya, Shep." The trooper opened the back door and Jeremy stepped out. "Thanks again, Archie."

"Ah, don't mention it. Remember, stay out of Laredo until Gracie goes through, okay?" Archie stuck his hand out and Jeremy shook it.

"That's a good deal, Archie." Jeremy smiled, headed to the median and looked north to see a vehicle closing in on him. He dove over the center median, crashing down on his fragile cargo. "Crap!"