11-Just the Girls

The ladies were in uncharted territory venturing onto Jeremy's back deck. Madeline opened the screen door and Gwen balked before stepping inside. "I'm not sure Jeremy would appreciate me going into his home." 

"We'll just sit...at." Madeline scratched that idea. "...the patio table." She looked at Gwen. "I think the patio is a better option."

"What?" Gwen peeked inside the back door. "A dead body?" Harmony pressed between her mother and the door frame before pinching her nose closed. "You know? Looking at the manicured trees and the garden...I did not expect that!" The neighbor suggested at the smelly mess.

"Pewwww! Mom, that smells!" Harmony held her breath and her cheeks ballooned out making the women laugh.

"You know what?" Madeline put a suggestion out there. "I'll take one for the team and make the coffee. Just wait out here!" The doctor held her breath as she entered the kitchen searching for a clean towel. She found one in a drawer beside the sink and wore it like a bandana over her nose and mouth. 

At least Madeline could function now as she noticed the Keurig machine. "Yeah, could've guessed that! Any k-cups?" She opened the sliding drawer under the machine. "Bonus!"

"Now, any water in it?" She checked. "Add more." Madeline looked at the sink overflowing with dishes and a stench that would knock a bear out. "Jeremy, this is no way to live!"

Gwen stood at the screen door and spoke to Madeline. "Everything okay in there? Need a hand? Gloves, maybe an N95 mask?" 

"Gwen, that's cruel!" Madeline laughed. "But you are funny! I'll survive...be out there in a minute!"

Madeline opened door after door. "Come on, Jeremy, let there must be mugs or cups ~ anything!" The last door had paydirt. "Bingo!"

A few minutes later Madeline bumped the screen door open with her hip and smiled as she set two mugs of coffee on the table. "And I found this in the fridge." She pulled a small can of Perrier water from her pocket.

"I never would've guessed Jeremy for a Perrier water fan!" Gwen laughed as she pulled the tab and handed it to Harmony. 

Madeline began the conversation. "Jeremy seems like a nice enough guy. I mean look at Charlie! She's gorgeous!" Charlie sat beside the doctor and she pulled her close.

"He's okay I guess." Gwen frowned. "So what does he have against me?"

"We haven't talked a lot." Madeline continued to speak as she watched Gwen. "He seems very lonely and well...heart broke."

"And he takes it out on me?" Gwen sat forward on her chair. "I haven't exactly been setting the dating scene on fire myself! Not since Harmony's father, Miguel."

"I think he likes you and you just don't let yourself see it," Madeline explained before Gwen could say anything. "I mean look at his yard. His garden is immaculate. Maybe he is trying to impress you?"

"Haha and ha! That man barely knows I exist." Gwen shook her head in disagreement.

"I think you'd be surprised." The doctor suggested. "Men are coy and too subtle for their own good!" Countering Gwen's observation. "He thinks you are doing great having three beautiful kids."

Gwen pointed at Madeline. "Now I know you're lying. Jeremy doesn't speak like that." 

"Well, it was something along those lines." Madeline held her hand over her heart.

"Really?" The mother of three was taken aback.

Harmony found a dog brush and began combing the Charlie's hair. "Mom, Charlie looks sad!? That man should be here."