36-Damn

Catch me if you can

Jeremy went one way and Stanley raced back to his car. He knew every nook and cranny of the small community and it would only be a matter of time that he would find the fugitive.

There were few hiding spaces to elude the law and Jeremy was tired of running. "This has to end tonight. There's no where to run." He walk back to the main street and waited for Stanley.

The officer drove slowly with his search light on looking into the obvious hiding spots along the village streets. "Where are you man? I don't want to be looking for you all night!" Stanley then turned back onto the main street only to see Jeremy standing in the middle of the street.

The officer pulled his SUV off to the side and got out slowly before speaking to Jeremy. "You're not going to run again, are you?"

"Depends." Jeremy shrugged.

Stanley hesitated before asking. "On what?"

"On what happens next." Jeremy took a seat on the bench in front of Helen's Pharmacy. "Because I can not give up Gwen's location."

"Mr. Fartham, they have already learned the location of the cottage." Stanley shook his head. "The team is assembling now."

"Assembling like we were armed criminals?" Jeremy scoffed. "They were killing Gwen with chemotherapy and they..."

"They are simply getting the ambulance ready to transport Miss Printin back to the clinic." Stanley thought that was reasonable. "She'll be more comfortable in the ambulance than the rental van."

"You have no idea! Your superiors have zero understanding of what Gwen needs." Jeremy looked right at the officer before surprising Stanley. "Catch me if you can!"

Jeremy bolted for the alley pissing Stanley off. "You won't get far!"

Little did the officer know Jeremy had a solid plan this time and as much as he didn't want to run, he did. Gwen would not survive the three hour drive back to the city.

The desperate man quickly returned to the main street and directly to the rental van. With Stanley searching for Jeremy he forgot to call in the tow truck. He jumped into the passenger door then climbed over the console then behind the wheel.

Jeremy noticed the police cruiser drove back onto the main street in search of him. Stanley then pulled down the next street in a methodical search pattern but this time Jeremy did not want to be caught.

He waited a few seconds before starting the van. He wanted to gun it and get out of the village but the sound would be heard in the sleepy village. So he made a U-turn and slipped out of the village with no lights on and as quietly as possible.

When Jeremy passed over a couple of hills he turned the lights on and sped as fast as he could to the cottage. With no cellphones he could not warn Madeline and the family.

"God, I never ask for much and I am not asking for me." Jeremy paused. "Okay, let's be honest...this is for me as well. But give Gwen the strength to survive the night. You know what we are doing is right. Just give us a chance to help her. That's all I ask....ah, Amen?"

Jeremy rarely spoke to God but his heart was in the right place. He raced down the gravel road to the cottage and as he approached he saw lights in the long driveway. "Crap! They're here!"

The closer he got to the cottage the more he understood Pete and Miguel had arrived and not the authorities. "Pumpkin, I could kiss you, Buddy!" He looked to the heavens and gave credit to the one above. "Thank you!"

Jeremy rushed to the cottage. "I hate to rush you guys but the Provincial Police are sending the whole detachment with an ambulance to take Gwen back."

Madeline yelled for Chastity then looked at Jeremy. "She can't go far!"