26-Coming Home

The Clinic - Gwen's Room

Madeline walked to Gwen's room but had a question for the man who lasted longer than she thought he should have. "Jeremy...How are you surviving this?"

Jeremy had no answers. "I have no idea, Maddie. You will have to ask Pumpkin, he says I've been out of it for weeks."

Madeline made it inside the surprisingly happy room and waved her cellphone to draw attention. "Guess who's on the phone?"

Gwen looked past her kids entertaining her at the side of her bed. "Really?" The mother forgot all about her pain in that moment. "Jeremy?"

Madeline smiled and nodded as she handed the phone to Gwen then reached out for Harmony. "What do you say we give your mom a few minutes here, eh?"

Chastity kissed Gwen before leaving the room. Austin pulled himself off his mother's bed and gave her a smile before catching up with Chastity.

"Hey, Jeremy?" Gwen smiled so hard it began to hurt. "Hang on." She massaged her cheeks before returning to the call. "How are you?"

"I won't complain. I'm still alive." Jeremy chuckled. "Go figure."

"You are not unlike all the other men in my life!" Gwen took a deep breath. "Damn it Jeremy! Why couldn't you just stick around and...and stand by your words?"

"Ah, crap!" He drew a deep breath. "It looks like I ran away."

"You did run, Jeremy!" Gwen had to admit to her situation. "I am not doing so hot here." She spoke softly as she continued. "I want to see you before I... Before..."

Jeremy heard Gwen trying to hide her grief and tried to comfort her. "Do not finish that sentence. There are still more things we need to do yet." He paused. "Like a kiss that you don't collapse from."

"Maybe just be there to hold me up when I do?" Gwen suggested.

"I can do that." Jeremy tried to give Gwen some hope. "I have never felt so lucky."

"Maybe bring some of that luck back with you?" Gwen lightly laughed.

"Sure." Jeremy agreed and looked up at Pete getting his attention. He wanted the phone. "Pumpkin thinks he has something to say. I have no idea what that could possibly be. See you when I get there, Gwen." He awkwardly made the sound of a kiss before handing the phone off to Pete.

"Hey, Gwen." Pete spoke with a giddiness in his voice.

Gwen sternly spoke. "Pumpkin, this better be good!"

"Harmony's grandfather agreed to come back with us." Pete waited for Gwen to respond.

After an awkward silence Gwen spoke. "Why would that excite me Pumpkin? I was in love with his son!"

"Ah, he will be bringing the same medicine that saved Jeremy." Pete shrugged. "If we can get it across the borders."

Gwen dismissed the claim that Jeremy is saved. "Pumpkin, I don't believe he would be cured by someone in Mexico." She had a great belief in modern medicine.

"Not even Harmony's great grandmother?" Pete interupted the mother of three.

Gwen fell silent. Miguel spoke often of visiting his grandmother in her village as a young boy. Then she spoke to Pete about Emelina. "He often weeded the garden with her while the other children played."

"She still has that medicinal garden full of herbs, and other crazy plants that have names I never heard of." Pete laughed.

Still not convince she told Pete what she believed. "Pumpkin, he may look and feel good right now but, trust me, in a week or two he will be as bad as I am." Gwen toughened her voice as she spoke. "Just bring Jeremy back to me!" She ended the call.