𝐗𝐈𝐈

--------------------

They agreed on returning to the same pond that had originally started their new friendship for the rest of the night.

Fireflies as bright as the moon, pond darker than the night itself, the scenery was especially enchanting at night-- early in the morning, so to speak. 

Their eyes burned with tiredness, yet they still manage to stay awake for a long period of time.

"I can see why people prefer night over mornings now." Karl yawns, shooing a fly off the bridge of his nose. "Quite ethereal, don't you think?" 

Dream tiredly agrees, simply giving him a thumbs up whilst fixing his mask.

"Say, why do you wear that mask, anyway? Don't you get hot in it?" 

"Well, I'm- uh, I just.. I don't like making eye contact, it makes me even more awkward than I already am." He shifts uncomfortably in his spot from the off-putting question.

Karl didn't catch onto this, and resumed onto the same subject, "Really? I didn't take you as an awkward person, In fact, I think you're pretty chill to be around."

He couldn't see it for himself, but Dream was smiling behind that mask. "Yeah?"

Karl gave him a broad grin, "Yeah."

...

Nothing but silence roamed the air for about two or three minutes, before Karl leaned onto a nearby tree for his back to be supported on, breaking the silence as he tried to re-light the died out fire that was this conversation.

"But.. I wish to see your face sometime, you know, since we're... soulmates." he lifts his hoodie over his head, getting quite cold from the nightly wind. "Yet, at the same time, it would be kind of cool to have such a mysterious partner like you."

Dream said nothing, only blushing at the implication. This was just all a tease, right?

"If I kissed you on the mask, would that count as a kiss?"

Silence again; Dream gives Karl a strange look-- albeit he couldn't really tell, since his face was still covered and all.

Then, they both burst out laughing, petrifying nearby animals.

--------------------