Chapter 4

The sun was smoldering, but that was common in the month of October in Tampa. There was no hint of rain or wind as the sky was clear and pure blue. But the humidity God…

I exhaled as I took another sip of my iced tea. The humidity was said to be 82% today and even living here all my life, I still wasn't used to the heat.

I have been sitting outside of café European for twenty minutes now and on my second cup of iced tea, idiotically looking around and staring at the people around me who were either sitting or passing by. He wasn't here yet. Maybe he had set me up and wasn't going to show up. Maybe he still wasn't over the fact that I lied to him about my name and identity and this was his way of some kind of revenge, or probably he still doesn't trust me. Either way I was going to wait for another five minutes, if he wouldn't show, I was leaving.

"Did you like the roses?" his scintillating voice reached my ears.

My head snapped to my right and there he was as glorious as ever, his hands in the pockets of his slacks, shades hiding his eyes and a dazzling smile on his face. He wore a polo shirt this time and it was weird although pleasant to see him without one of his suits.

People around me all stared at him in awe, I don't know if they recognized him or not or were only amazed at his sheer beauty and enigma. I still wasn't sure why he wanted to meet in a public place, not that I was complaining. There were no bodyguards as far as I could see and no weapons for protection. I wondered what his motives behind this meeting were!

"It was a nice gesture but I like orchids more." I answered a bit rudely. It was fair since he made me wait in this blazing heat for so long.

He took a seat in front of me and smirked, crossing his legs. "My apologies, I will keep that in mind for the future."

I gave him a fake smile and looked everywhere but on his face. He was so sure about the future.

"I hope you didn't have to wait too long. The traffic at this hour is ridiculous." His voice was smooth just like his posture. He looked to be in such an ease.

I raised my eyebrows at his choice of words. "Why did you want to meet here?"

His eyebrows furrowed. "What do you mean?"

"Isn't this a public place? I thought you would want to meet at some place that is more of your domain. And you are here without any protection…"

"What makes you think I came unprotected?"

I gaped at him.

He came a bit closer and rested his elbows on the table, his chin on his fingers that were laced together. I stilled a bit at his stance. "Do you see that SUV behind me?"

I looked behind him and sure enough there was a black SUV parked across the road. I stared back at the smug look on his face. "There is another one not far from here. If anyone here tried to do anything, one signal and my soldiers will gun down each and every person present here indifferently, including you."

"Why would I want to harm you? I thought you said I was harmless."

He settled back on the chair. "I don't know Jade." He shrugged. "Do you have a reason to harm me?"

I averted my eyes from his face. I couldn't show him that I was guilty of his silent accusation.

"How did you know where I live?" I changed the uncomfortable topic.

He chuckled. I almost shivered at the mellifluous sound. "You are not going to let that go, are you?"

I didn't answer.