Chapter 15

"So what, I am a bargaining chip?" I gaped at him with my mouth open.

He pondered, tilting his head. "Something like that!"

I huffed disbelievingly and crossed my arms at my chest. He smirked again and moved towards the table, perching himself on the edge. Although I was glad about the distance between us right now for the sake of my coherent thoughts and to be able to concentrate without getting distracted by his intense eyes and his nearness, I immediately began missing the heat of his body as he moved away.

He glanced back at Dario who instantly came to Emanuele's side. "Dario why don't we call the lieutenant to tell him his precious Jade is with us!" He said, glaring daggers at me.

Dario, the always obedient, not being able to let his underboss's command go, dialed the number on his cell phone. I, on the other hand was still leaning against the wall, waiting for my fate to be decided. Dario turned the phone on speaker at Emanuele's order so I could listen in on the conversation. After three rings Ben picked up the phone. "Hello." His voice seemed stressed, maybe he knows by now that I am missing.

"Lieutenant, this is Emanuele Bertolino. How glad I am to hear your voice!" Emanuele exclaimed sarcastically while chuckling.

I glared at him, feeling sorry for Ben.

"Bertolino, where is Jade?" Ben's voice leaked panic and strain.

"Oh she is here, enjoying herself." Emanuele winked at me.

"She is alive?"

"Very much lieutenant. At least for now."

"Don't harm her Bertolino, or else I will..."

"I don't think you are in any position to deliver a threat lieutenant Lane." Emanuele eyes blazed, his voice held a warning.

I heard Ben sigh. "What do you want?"

"I think you know what I want, Jade's life for Raimondo's freedom."

"You son of a bitch!"

Emanuele just chuckled.

"And what if I don't release Raimondo?"

"Lieutenant." Emanuele clicked his tongue. He teasingly admonished Ben. "You don't want Jade's dead body as a Christmas present, do you?"

I gasped under my breath, staring at Emanuele in shock. I was aware of the fact that he wanted me dead and will kill me when he gets what he wants, inconsiderate of his feelings for me. But to see him talking so casually about my death hurt. I couldn't believe that he was the same man who was so tender with me for the past two months that we have been together and was always so gentle with me in bed. He was a totally different person with me and seeing him so callous, glacier and indifferent towards me and about my life was like a stab to my chest.

"How can I be sure that you won't kill her after I release Raimondo?" Ben's aggravated voice snapped me out of my trance.

"You can't be lieutenant. Guess you will just have to trust me."

"I want to talk to her."

Emanuele looked at me sneering. "Jade will you be a darling and let your uncle Ben hear your voice?"

"Don't release Raimondo Ben; he is going to kill me anyway." I yelped when Emanuele roughly grabbed my elbow and jerked me towards him. He pulled my hair and cupped my neck, squeezing it roughly. For once I saw the same madness in his eyes, I had seen in those men's eyes who kidnapped me in Sicily. I was truly scared of him then. From the background I heard Ben's panicked voice. He was ordering and threatening Emanuele not to hurt me but his eyes were only on me, glaring mercilessly at me. Raimondo was Emanuele's weakness, because he was close to a father figure to him and if anything happens to him because of me, he will personally take pleasure in torturing me to death.