Chapter 6

"Answer me Jade!" he took another threatening step towards me.

"How do you know about that?"

His glare worsened. His fists were clenched so tight, his knuckles were turning white. "I told you not to ask a question in reply to mine!"

"I am sorry!" I lowered my head.

"My boss warned me about you. He told me not to trust you but I still did. I went against his order for the second time Jade." He sneered in my face. "Now give me one good reason why I shouldn't hurt you or I swear I will kill you with my bare hands."

I jumped in fright at the intensity of the warning in his voice. Second time. I wanted to ask him why he mentioned second time, but I didn't dare because I know it will only make him more aggravated, and frankly speaking his anger right now was frightening.

"He's...Ben is...a family friend." I kept my eyes and voice lowered.

"A family friend!" he stared at me in disbelief.

"Yes...he was my father's best friend and because of my parent's death, he now considers me his responsibility...he usually comes to check on me sometimes. You know with my line of work, I am always in danger and he just worries for me."

He continued to stare at me skeptically during my entire speech. "And was your father in the police too?"

"No!" I exclaimed. "He was just was a simple employee in a bank. They were friends from high school."

He still didn't look convinced.

"I am not lying, Emanuele." I pleaded him with my eyes.

His eyes softened a little. "I want to believe you Jade." He sighed. "But this was never a good idea. We are not a good idea. You don't want to enter my world Jade because once you are in, there is only one way out."

Death.

I shivered and he smiled despondently. "Stay away Jade. It is for your own good and safety."

I was about to say something but he shook his head and cupped my face. He kissed my forehead, his lips lingering for a little longer. Glancing at me for the last time, he was gone.

******

"Are you sure about this Jade?" Jerry asked me tightly clutching onto his camera, while sweating bullets. He was fidgeting and trying to change my mind repeatedly. Jerry was my cameraman and although he is great at the job, but to put it really bluntly, is a pussy. He is always nervous, scared and biting on his fingernails whenever we are going to follow a lead. He was good looking with brown hair and eyes, but extremely scrawny.

"Yes I am sure Jerry. You know how big of a bust this is!" I rolled my eyes while looking through the windscreen.

"And it is a huge risk too!" his eyebrows furrowed as he gulped.

"Jerry by how long we have been working together in this line of work, I thought you would be used to it by now." I avoided a bump on the road, while looking at him from the corner of my eyes.

"I am not as daring and challenging as you are Jade!"

"Yeah I kind of know that by now."

I turned my car onto the road that led to the abandoned warehouse. My sources told me there was going to be a dealing here tonight. Yes, a drug deal! So at six in the evening, I dragged Jerry from his house, by his collar, and locked him in my car. He was reluctant as always so I had to bribe him with some extra cash. It is a big deal alright, with some self made organization of gangsters. And from how my job and livelihood has been hanging by a thread, I have to make this bust so I can get back in Evelyn's good books.