Chapter 18

The bright rays of the sun shining directly on my face woke me up the next morning. I groaned, rolling onto my back and opened my eyes. I was alone.

Panicking I sat up and glanced at the clock on the bedside table. It was nine am. My first thought as my eyes frantically looked around the room was to look for his duffel bag; I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw it on the armchair. He hasn't left me!

But where could he go this early in the morning? I mean wouldn't it be dangerous for him to be out in the open when he could be spotted anytime? I know we were out of the county but I could bet that Raimondo has some contacts around here as well who wouldn't hesitate to hand over our asses back to him. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a heavy price on us as well!

I got up from the bed and took some clothes and my toothbrush out of the bag. I took a quick shower which gave little relief to my still sore muscles, I don't think they were going to be normal anytime soon considering how tensed I have been for the last couple of days and it was only ever increasing. I changed into jeans and a loose sweater and left the bathroom; zipping my bag again I sat quietly at the edge of the bed, pondering on how my simple, uncomplicated life turned around to be such a complete mess and it was my entire fault. Ben was right, I rushed into things. He warned me so many times about the consequences of involving myself in such danger but the urge to find my brother was too much for me to ignore. I had lost my parents and I was not ready to lose my only family left. Hope of him being alive and rescuing him was the only force that helped me cope and live past another day. That is how I had spent my months and that is what is making me want to survive even now.

That and of course Emanuele.

I don't know why but he makes me not to want to give up. His presence even with me now makes me want to hope for the next day. Not to want to die.

He has sacrificed so much for me already and even though I should not appreciate all his doings because I still don't have Charlie, I do. He shouldn't feel the need to save me, should not risk his life for me, should have finished me off at my house that day, but he didn't and even if he won't admit the reason why, I know he cares about me. And that is enough for now, enough to want to live past this ordeal and hope that if we make it out of this alive, I want to be with him, if he will have me.

The opening of the door was what made me snap out of my thoughts of feeling sorry for myself. I quickly wiped the tears away and got up, facing Emanuele. He paused at the door when he saw the moisture in my eyes.

"Where were you?" I asked after clearing my throat.

He exhaled and closed the door behind him, his eyes not leaving my face. "We have to leave!"

I frowned at his nonchalant tone but became worried as his words sunk in. "Did they find us?" my eyes widened.

"No." he didn't explain further but went past me to his bag.

"Then why?"

"Jade sta 'zitto!" he exclaimed sharply. I flinched and stared at him in shock. As much as I love it when he speaks Italian and the soothing feeling that comes along with it that makes me want to melt down, it only feels like that when he is not pissed. I realize now that when he is mad even his Italian is scary especially when his anger is directed at me. "Can we leave now? I'll answer your questions in the car." His tone dropped down a notch.

I gulped and nodded my head, grabbing my bag; I followed him out of the door. Emanuele handed the room key back to the same reception guy who didn't dare look him straight in the eyes this time. "I hope you enjoyed your stay...Happy New Year!" he stuttered with his face lowered. Emanuele looked at him but didn't say anything. I hope the guy doesn't say anything to provoke or aggravate him further. He was in a grumpy mood. After paying for our stay he left the motel and after giving a nod to the guy as a thank you, I followed after him.