Chapter 9

After some more sightseeing the next day Emanuele dropped me off at the villa and said he had some things he needed to take care of. He left but not before demanding for me to be ready by seven because he wanted to take me out to dinner in one of the local classiest restaurants. He put two of his men outside for watch and kissed me goodbye.

At fifteen minutes to seven I was ready in an olive green dress and stared at myself in the mirror. I could see the confliction in my eyes. I was having second thoughts, no doubt! I had considered myself to be strong. I thought I will be able to overcome any of what would be thrown my way. Emanuele's life was not flowers and rainbows; it was gun, murder and blood. And I thought I would be able to handle it. But all my preparation and premeditation had been in vain, it still comes as a shock to me; the extent of what Emanuele is capable of. Not to mention the more time I spend with him, the more he makes a place inside my heart which was a big no-no for me. I can't fall in love with a criminal like him. It was dangerous, risky, unstable, unacceptable and futureless.

I closed my eyes and prayed that my brother be okay. I was doing this all for him, playing with fire for him and if he is already dead, I don't know if I will be able to move on from this and that is only if Emanuele doesn't kill me first.

I looked at the time, only five minutes were left. I sat on the bed and waited for Emanuele to send the car he said would come to pick me up and take me to the restaurant where he will meet me directly.

The knock on the door brought me out of my reverie. The deeper I go into these thoughts, the more I will complicate everything, the more complicated things get, the more time will be wasted and Charlie's life will be in jeopardy. And I also cannot let Emanuele be suspicious of anything.

Walking towards the entrance, I opened the door to see an unfamiliar man standing there. I frowned as I stared at him. He was wearing a suit but he didn't look like one of Emanuele's men. From all the soldiers I have seen with him, he was never there. Maybe he was new or something.

"Signora, the car is here!"

I looked at him skeptically. "Are you new?"

"No, I work for Antonio, Sicilian don. Mr. Bertolino sent me to bring you to him!" his voice was neutral, no sign or hint for me to know if he was lying.

"Why did he send you?"

"He has asked Antonio for help to increase your protection. The rest of the soldiers are in the car. We will take you safely to him, Signora."

I sighed, still a little cynical and nodded my head. Closing the door behind me, I followed him to where the car was parked.

He opened the door for me and I was just about to enter when I noticed that Emanuele's men were not where they were supposed to be. Before leaving, he had specifically told them not to move from their assigned places. I was about to ask them about their absence when I felt a sharp blow at the back of my head. The pain that exploded in my head made me gasp out loud. I turned my head to see the same man had struck me with what I could make out to be an iron rod. I saw him smirking at me before darkness consumed me and I was out.

******

I was not conscious, I was sure of it. If I was, I wouldn't be able to see Charlie's face. Even when it was hazy I could still make out his bright, shining eyes that were just like mine. We both had gotten those from our mother and we were proud of it. I can recognize that infectious smile and the auburn curls of his hair anywhere. Charlie was here by my side, staring down at me while kneeling on the floor. He seemed to be glowing; there was this certain light radiating from him.

I gasped.

"Charlie, are you dead?" I asked, shocked.

He didn't answer but continued to smile at me.