Chapter 23

So this is the last chapter of the story, next will be the epilogue. Just want to once again thank the people who voted for my story, especially babybearsxx, who voted on every chapter. You are awesome!

 And also thank you to those silent readers who decided to give my story a chance and read it. I really appreciate it!

___________

For the whole four hour ride it seemed like there was an absolute silence in the car. None of us spoke apart from a few sobs and whimpers that escaped my mouth even when my face was buried in Emanuele's chest. I was scared shitless as I knew our doom was pretty near. Same could not be said about Emanuele though.

I glanced above at him from his chest but he was staring out of the window. His face was a mask of concentration, like he was thinking hard, trying to come up with a plan. But I knew no matter how hard he tried, our end was inevitable. At least I was complacent about the fact that I was going to die first, albeit a horrible, torturous death. I won't have to see him die first because I don't think I would be able to tolerate the sight.

He looked at me when I shifted a bit in his arms and frowned. He wiped away my tears with his thumb and then smoothed the creases formed on my forehead. It was a small dose of a brief comfort. "How did they find us?" I whispered, aware of the two men in the front who glance back when one of us even moves a finger.

"They must have suspected Lucca and followed him. Dammit, he should have been more careful!" he spat, his eyes blazing.

"Lucca was in your family?" I asked perplexed because I hadn't seen him with Emanuele before or even when I visited the headquarters.

"He is, at least he was if they haven't disposed of him already!" he kept cursing angrily, reverting back to his native tongue.

"Emanuele..." I gained back his attention, pleading with my eyes. "Charlie..."

"Don't worry! I won't tell them." He assured. I felt a little better at that.

The SUV stopped at the gates of their HQ which were immediately opened by the soldiers standing there in attention. It was like they were anticipating our arrival with great impatience. My heart clenched when we entered the driveway of the mansion and stopped in front of the main entrance.

Our doors were opened and we were dragged out of the car separately. I squealed in protest when I was ripped out of Emanuele's arms. They were like my last safe abode and a source of my strength. Without them I felt empty and overwhelmed with fear.

We walked side by side as directed by now five men behind us with guns pressed against our backs. We had to descend a flight of stairs and I was becoming aware of where they might be taking us, the same place where they kept and tortured my brother for months and the same place where Emanuele and I were going to die.

One of them was standing beside the basement door and opened it when he saw us descend the last step. He nodded his head at Gian behind us and then glared at Emanuele and me. We have been receiving those glares and snarls of contempt by everyone ever since we stepped out of the vehicle.

The room was small, dark and windowless, with drops of water dripping from the ceiling. The only light coming in was from the empty space where a ventilation fan was supposed to be. One of them turned on the lights and I gasped out loud. My eyes widened as they set upon on the table filled with torture weapons. There were knives, chains, electric shock devices and all kind of horrendous stuff. A sob escaped my lips which made Gian and the rest chuckle. I felt Emanuele stiffen beside me.

"Tie them up!" I heard one of them speak but I wasn't paying attention as my eyes were fixed on the table. I felt being dragged to one of the two chairs in the room where they pushed me down on it and cuffed my hands behind my back.