Epilogue

"So how is California City treating you?"

"It's great Ben. The weather in nice, the people are friendly. It reminds me so much of home." I answered opening the curtains of our room and taking a deep breath as the fresh air hit my nostrils. The sun was shining brightly which made me smile as I basked in its light.

"And you are safe right? There has been no incident?" he asked worriedly.

"No Ben." I sighed. "He brought me here because it was safe. He wouldn't have chosen this city if it wasn't safe."

He exhaled. "I am still not convinced Jade, I mean there was no need for you to leave Florida. You could have just stayed if the danger was over."

"Ben it was important to him. He wanted a new start, a new place, a new beginning. He wanted to leave everything behind and I was happy to oblige because I actually wanted the same thing."

"But everything important to you is still here, your house, your old job. I mean if the danger really was over, why did you both have to move?" I could tell he was still not over his frustration.

"I have said goodbye to all of that a long time ago Ben. Everything I want and everything that is important to me is here. Emanuele is my everything Ben and I will go wherever he wants me to." I smiled as I looked down at the driveway of our two story house where he was parking his car. He was home from work earlier than usual today. He now owned a successful automotive business. When he came to me about the idea three months ago, I looked at him like he was crazy. But seeing his passion for cars and the way he talked about them, I was convinced that his heart was in it and he would be able to make something out of it. I was happy with my decision now because we were doing great financially and his business was still flourishing.

I still remember when he came home one day smiling from ear to ear and announced about the huge deal that he signed which earned him a lot of profit. I was almost bouncing from the excitement and then cried when he presented me the 10 carat diamond ring which I still wore proudly to this day.

"This is insane Jade. Are you really sure about this? I mean he is still a criminal. Once a criminal is always a criminal! He has killed people and he is danger walking on two legs. You can't change that." Ben's voice raised an octave.

"Stop it Ben! Can't you see me happy?" I almost screamed. "He is never going to hurt me. He is changed Ben, he doesn't do all of those things anymore. He could have had it all; he became the boss after killing Raimondo but refused that position because he wanted to change for me. He left it all for me Ben. And you want me to abandon him?"

"Jade..."

"I am marrying Emanuele in a week Ben, whether you like it or not. I have waited for this moment for five months already."

He sighed but didn't try to change my mind again. "I talked to Charles."

My heart thudded excitedly. "You did?"

"Yeah, he was asking about you. I told him about you getting married, at first he was quiet but then he sounded happy for you. He said he wished he could walk you down the aisle."

Tears filled my eyes but I quickly wiped them away. I could hear Emanuele downstairs in the kitchen shuffling about. He probably knew or heard that I was on the phone so he was giving me my space. "I wish so too Ben, but it is better if we maintain some distance. Even though now the family is run and controlled my Dario who is loyal to Emanuele and wouldn't ever go after Charlie, there are still some bad apples that are rebellious and hell bent on avenging Raimondo. It is better if Charlie and I don't contact each other for some time, not until that rebellion is taken care of."