Chapter 13

Ben was surprised when I told him Charlie's location and about the mafia's secret headquarters. He was shocked and relieved at the same time, which I could sense from his words. He calmed me down because I was in hysterics and promised me that he will immediately gather a search warrant for that place and bring my brother back to me.

It was like a boulder had been lifted from my heart when I heard that my brother would be safe again. But I was gladder about the fact that I wouldn't have to get more involved and act around those mobsters anymore, especially Emanuele. Although the thought of leaving him and fleeing the city was excruciating, it was dulled by the fact that Charlie would be with me again and whatever I was doing, it was for the safety of my brother.

It is hard to admit but Emanuele has made a place inside my heart. He has broken through the walls and made his residence there, but from the beginning I knew that I had no future with him. Then why did it hurt at the thought of leaving him?

Although I know I shouldn't, I felt guilty for betraying Emanuele and I know the kind of wrath he will unleash on me when he does figure this out.

I was ironically waiting in Emanuele's arms for Ben to call me about the rescue of my brother. "How did your talk with Raimondo go?" I rested my chin on his chest and looked up at him.

He gritted his teeth. "Not well." He rubbed his hand over his face and then swiped his dark locks back. "He keeps telling me that I am making a mistake with you."

I inhaled and traced a scar on his chest that distantly seemed like a bullet wound. "And do you believe him?"

I could feel his stare on my head but I didn't meet his eyes. "Jade look at me." he sighed. When I still didn't he lifted my face by my chin. "In my line of work, we don't have feelings Jade. We kind of have to switch off that button inside of us. Raimondo was right when he said that I was a heartless soldier. After killing so many people, I stopped feeling anything. There was remorse initially but then darkness, a black void that consumed me every day." He paused. "But then when I saw you for the first time, my heart fluttered and I felt something after a very long time, and I liked that feeling. And even though I kept telling you to stay away, I never wanted to actually let you go." He caressed my cheek, igniting heat in that place. "So tell me if you think I am making a mistake?"

I shook my head and then kissed him. He responded fervently.

He rolled us over and continued to kiss me. He then moved his lips to my neck lightly biting and sucking, making me moan out loud. He licked my nipple and closed his mouth over it making me arch my back and clutch the back on his head, tugging at his hair. His hand ran all over my body and was trailing down to find my center when his cell phone rang. He groaned and grabbed his phone from the bedside table while I tried to control my erratic breathing.

"Cosa?" Emanuele's voice was harsh. He stood up from the bed and walked a few steps away as naked as the day he was born. I continued to admire his well-endowed and muscular back and thighs while he talked on the phone.

His body was rigid and there was a scowl on his face when he ended the call. I could feel his fury as his body was shaking with ferity. The call irked him to no end and I was curious to find out what it was about.

He turned to me sharply making me internally wince. "Jade I have to go." There was violence in his eyes and I pitied whoever had crossed him.

"What happened?" I asked wrapping the sheets around me.

"Dario called. The police had the mansion searched." His jaw clenched.

My eyes widened and nervousness gripped my heart.