Chapter 14

Ben had panicked when I told him Emanuele knew the truth and had come to kill me, but didn't. He immediately grabbed my bag that I had packed earlier, locked the door of the house behind me and forced me in his SUV, much to my protests. He had looked at me like I was crazy when I refused to leave my house, even after knowing that I was now number one on the mafia's hit list. Maybe I was crazy sitting on my ass all day and waiting for someone to come and finish the job Emanuele didn't.

I still don't know why he didn't kill me though. From all that I know about them, their family comes above everything for them and they never take lying and betraying easily, it is only punishable by death in their books. By assassination. I really thought he would carry out his order and shoot me but he spared my life even when I was ready to die. I don't know what to make of the second chance I have been given to at life. I would rather die than live in fear of them for the rest of my life.

But what about Emanuele? He didn't carry out his order, didn't kill me, so won't he be subjected to some kind of harsh punishment for not obeying his boss? Isn't it a crime on its own? He could even die, so why did he risk his life to save mine? It couldn't be because he had feelings for me, could it?

Ben dropped me off at some cheap motel just a few hours away from the city. He gave me some money and asked me to stay low for a while, until he arranges my escape from the state with a new identity. He even made a call at my work to tell them I would be resigning soon. I was angry at that but Ben's exact words were, "Things aren't normal anymore Jade, it could be too risky. You can't go back to your old life." Apparently I had no other choice but to listen to him. I can't go back to work and my house because those are the first places they will look for me. My life as Jade Reyes really was over!

What Ben doesn't understand is that I can never escape from the mafia. They are everywhere, ruling everywhere. Even if it isn't Raimondo and his family, there are other families who will be willing to shoot me the instant they spot me. I will never be safe again! And what about my poor brother? I still don't know if he is really dead so how can I leave him in this hell of a city while I run for my life?

As I sat on the bed blankly staring at a wall, images of the night Emanuele came to kill me filled my mind and I winced. It was frightening; he was frightening. Entirely different from the person I came to know him to be. I have seen his dark side, his urge to kill, his capacity to hate but it was directed at me this time and I have never felt more afraid. But more than afraid, I was guilty.

There was a knock on my door and I hesitated, straightening up on the bed. "Jade, it's me." Ben whispered from the other side and I relaxed. Ever since he brought me here four days ago, I have been on edge. Even though I wanted to die when Emanuele pointed the gun to my head, I don't want that situation to repeat itself. The decision of dying was instant, and the death at Emanuele's hands would have been instant. I would take instant and sudden death any day other than anticipating it like I was doing right now.

I opened the door and Ben entered after glancing around, making sure no one was looking. He was in stress; I could see it in his eyes, his shaky hands and his panting. He had a bag in his hand and some documents. I frowned at this.

"You didn't leave the room, did you?" his voice was grave.

"No Ben, I have been stuck here for the last four days!" I rolled my eyes.

He gritted his teeth. "Jade this is a serious matter. How can you take it so lightly? Death isn't a thing to be taken lightly, especially when you know it is coming for you."

I sobered up.

"I am risking everything to protect your ass here Jade, by keeping you out of their radar. I am risking my own life here because you were too stupid to uselessly throw away yours by involving yourself in this mess. I will appreciate it if you show me some gratefulness instead of acting like a brat." He spat.